Need some help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jazztalker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was out of the country for about 3 months, and had a friend looking after my place, including my fish. I had given away my good fish so they wouldn't die, but I kept a few damsels and a blenny in the tank to keep some life in there. Well, I don't think my friend did a very good job, as the tank looks pretty dirty. None of the fish I left died, so that's definitely good. However, there is a lot of algae buildup on my crushed coral, and I do mean a lot. There is also quite a bit on my live rock. What can I do to clean up the crushed coral? Should I try to get the live rock clean too, or leave the algae on it? It also looks like the tank walls were never cleaned off, so does anyone have a suggestion to clean that off - there looks to be some build up on that as well. Thanks!

What type of algae? It is most likely due to high PO4 and NO3 in the water. Manualremoval of what you can get is a good option. Several water changes with RO/DI will also help. You can also cut backon your photoperiod for a few weeks.

One side of the tank is just what I'd call a normal, green algae. Kind of "hairy" and wavy stuff. The other side is more lighter green... almost like what you'd see on an old penny. Does that make sense?

Scrape the glass off and try to siphon as much out as you can. If the algae on the LR is film, suck that off as well. Clean up critters or a reduced photo period might belp with hair algae.

You could scrape the stuff off the LR as well but that won't be real easy.

Your bulbs might be to old also but I do also agree with the advisors that your problems also are what they say.

Back
Top Bottom