Need some help with my blood parrot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kades

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just started the hobby of keeping fish I have a 45 gallon aquarium. I have cycled the tank. I now have 6 tiger barbs, 2 gouramis (green and blue) and my one blood parrot. She is about 2 inches. I purchased another blood parrot for her a quickly regreted it she terrorized the poor fish! I took the fish back then added the gouramis and she acts like they aren't even there. right after I got rid if the other parrot she developed black spots. Now her fun goofy personality has changed. She continuously hides and I never see her. What could be wrong? I had the water tested and its fine.

Are the black spots near the top fin? Mine hides all the time in a barrel decorative thing and sometime comes out for food.

Well they were mainly on her lips and her stomach I suppose (under her) then she had a few on her fins. The spots have started to clear but her personality is COMPLETELY different. She used to come to the glass when she noticed me and do the feed me dance and play around the tank now she just hides all day and if she sees new she darts off. I want top find a good tank mate for her but she apparently hates other parrot fish!

kades said:
Well they were mainly on her lips and her stomach I suppose (under her) then she had a few on her fins. The spots have started to clear but her personality is COMPLETELY different. She used to come to the glass when she noticed me and do the feed me dance and play around the tank now she just hides all day and if she sees new she darts off. I want top find a good tank mate for her but she apparently hates other parrot fish!

Maybe it was just that one blood parrot. Hm I don't know though. She isn't getting bullied right?

Maybe the other parrot fish picks on her when you're not looking? Or maybe you don't have enough hiding places. I got my blood parrot cichlids a week ago. So far..they seem less shy when there's alot of hiding places like a large pot on its side in the tank or alot of plants.

No lol she OWNS that tank! Thats why I got rid if the other parrot she would wait in the center of the tank waiting on it to come or of hiding so she could chase it back to the corner where it came from. She never notices the gouramis our the barbs.

No smileyface shes the only parrot in the tank now. I got rid of the other one because she was so stressed and aggressive when I bought it. There are 3 good hiding places and lots of plants as well

You said she's a juvie still? Has her black stripes still? Not her full mature color? Could it be that the spots you're seeing are just the fluctuations of her color coming through in spots right now? As for the behavior, I know with my parrot it sometimes goes through mood swings. If you sit by the tank within sight quietly for a long period of time will she come out to investigate? She could be adjusting to being the solo parrot in the tank. Trying to figure out where her place is within the community. Afterall you did remove the one thing that gave her the most issues in being the "boss" of the tank.

Mlani said:
You said she's a juvie still? Has her black stripes still? Not her full mature color? Could it be that the spots you're seeing are just the fluctuations of her color coming through in spots right now? As for the behavior, I know with my parrot it sometimes goes through mood swings. If you sit by the tank within sight quietly for a long period of time will she come out to investigate? She could be adjusting to being the solo parrot in the tank. Trying to figure out where her place is within the community. Afterall you did remove the one thing that gave her the most issues in being the "boss" of the tank.

Just curious, so i've seen the stripes on my blood parrot cichlids occasionally, but they go away sometimes and then come back. Are the stripes normal? I see it on the youngest ones mostly. They're all juvies tho. Just 2 of them are about 2 inches and the others are 2 1/2 inches long

As far as I've read about parrots the stripes are normal and they will go away when the parrot matures. I was a little disappointed, I like the stripes.

*edit*
I also read that when the parrot flashes it's colors (usually during play with another parrot) they may show again.

Mlani said:
*edit*
I also read that when the parrot flashes it's colors (usually during play with another parrot) they may show again.

Thanks! :) as juvies at about 2 1/2 inches long how much do you think i should feed them? I don't want to overfeed them, but don't you have to feed baby fish multiple times a day? So far they like being fed in the morning a little then more at night, but i want to make sure i'm doing it right. I have multiple food choices from flakes to shrimp pellots (which're actually for my catfish, but they end up eating it instead), to bloodworms, and i also have peas..i read if you feed it to them once a week it's good and helps prevent them from having swim bladder issues and helps aide with digestion.

When I purchased her she was her adult color a vibrant red orange. Now it send as if her color is fading as well. Today is day 3 of not seeing her :/

I just bought 2 more tiger barbs (now 8 total) and things have settled down and aren't as hectic. I'm hoping my bp feels better now and comes out off hiding! I wish I could get her a tank mate to play with!

kades said:
I just bought 2 more tiger barbs (now 8 total) and things have settled down and aren't as hectic. I'm hoping my bp feels better now and comes out off hiding! I wish I could get her a tank mate to play with!

Good luck! Oh ya! Maybe get a baby dojo loach. Mine likes my dojo loach alot. She stares at him like "you're soo cute!" And seems to perk up when she notices him.

smileyface9 said:
Thanks! :) as juvies at about 2 1/2 inches long how much do you think i should feed them? I don't want to overfeed them, but don't you have to feed baby fish multiple times a day? So far they like being fed in the morning a little then more at night, but i want to make sure i'm doing it right. I have multiple food choices from flakes to shrimp pellots (which're actually for my catfish, but they end up eating it instead), to bloodworms, and i also have peas..i read if you feed it to them once a week it's good and helps prevent them from having swim bladder issues and helps aide with digestion.

I usually feed mine once in the morning and an hour before "lights out" at night. It sounds to me like you're doing everything right, with your choices of food. I mix cichlid pellets with the shrimp pellets and give some flake with live blood worms. Mine doesn't seem to care much for the peas, so I don't do them anymore. I only give the blood worms as a treat every other day.

kades said:

How is she doing today? Have the new tank mates brought her out of hiding?

Mlani said:
I usually feed mine once in the morning and an hour before "lights out" at night. It sounds to me like you're doing everything right, with your choices of food. I mix cichlid pellets with the shrimp pellets and give some flake with live blood worms. Mine doesn't seem to care much for the peas, so I don't do them anymore. I only give the blood worms as a treat every other day.

Thanks :) I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything right.

Back
Top Bottom