Nematodes...Please advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cherasdad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
9" Tiger oscar (healthy, vibrant and always hungry!) in a 55g tank with an Aquaclear 110 and a Fluval 406 cartridge filter. Water quality good, but nitrates go up quickly as city water has trace ammonia in it. I have that under control, and all is well until shortly after I got the Fluval and changed from gravel to sand. I now have many nematodes, identified by the eyelash sized U-shape that free float and occasionally wiggle like mad. They do NOT appear on glass. I was overfeeding, as am sure most new Oscar owners do, but have cut down to just once a day. I have done very thorough gravel vacs, and even changed all the substrate from sand back to gravel. I have been changing water every day, about 50%, and even starved him for 2 days. STILL, I cannot get rid of these buggers. I am worried they are living in filter now. I went to a LFS and they suggested CLOUT as a med, and I tried 2 rounds of this...no dice. I am not sure what to do, but sure would appreciate some advice, as am still a bit of a newbie. I did find a video from someone else dealing with this issue. The worms are exactly the same as what I am dealing with, however, my tank doesn't have nearly the infestation his does. Please advise, the video is below.

9" Tiger oscar (healthy, vibrant and always hungry!) in a 55g tank with an Aquaclear 110 and a Fluval 406 cartridge filter. Water quality good, but nitrates go up quickly as city water has trace ammonia in it. I have that under control, and all is well until shortly after I got the Fluval and changed from gravel to sand. I now have many nematodes, identified by the eyelash sized U-shape that free float and occasionally wiggle like mad. They do NOT appear on glass. I was overfeeding, as am sure most new Oscar owners do, but have cut down to just once a day. I have done very thorough gravel vacs, and even changed all the substrate from sand back to gravel. I have been changing water every day, about 50%, and even starved him for 2 days. STILL, I cannot get rid of these buggers. I am worried they are living in filter now. I went to a LFS and they suggested CLOUT as a med, and I tried 2 rounds of this...no dice. I am not sure what to do, but sure would appreciate some advice, as am still a bit of a newbie. I did find a video from someone else dealing with this issue. The worms are exactly the same as what I am dealing with, however, my tank doesn't have nearly the infestation his does. Please advise, the video is below.

Same problem here, I haven't been cleaning the tank bottom, they eventually get under control if your fish are not dyeing then you have detritus worm colony bloom, they eat the dirt of the bottom of the tank, when there is too much water deficiency (dirt under gravel) they swim up to get some air, mine are super fast worms

Peace and Success to your fishes from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom