Neon Orange Danio Bloated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherisec

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good day, I have posted my question according to the format suggested on the thread. I'm concerned that one of my danios has dropsy or bloat.
1. What's wrong? I have a neon orange danio that is very bloated. I do not see any pine coning of the scales though. It still has a great appetite and is very energetic. It likes to chase the other 2 danios around.
2~What are your tank parameters? I am new to keeping aquariums and haven't gotten all the required tests yet. pH is about 6.3.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? It is a 3 Gallon tank. I transferred the fish from a 1gallon tank on July 1st.
4~What type of filtration are you using? I'm using a 15gph pump and the filters I'm using are a local brand that remove nitrates and ammonia and there is a carbon filter. It's hang over waterfall filter.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? There are 4 fish in the tank. 1 Orange danio, 2 green danios and 1 pleco. They are all small except for the bloated danio.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? July 1st.
7~How long have you had the fish? I've had the fish for about a month but only 3 days in the new tank.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? I added a décor piece and some new gravel for the bigger tank.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? I feed the Danios Ultra Fresh brand food for tropical fish and I feed the pleco Ultra Fresh pellets for bottom feeders.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 66
Just an idea......dose the tank with Epsom salt at 1 teaspoon per gallon. It's a natural laxative. Make sure it's non-fragrance, just regular plain old Epsom salt. If you do this, also don't feed your fish for 3 days.

Thank you very much for the advice. I put some shelled peas in and it seemed to work - the bloating has gone down significantly. :)

Back
Top Bottom