Neon Tetra disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! I dont have NTD in my tank, but I just got 6 neons and I was wondering how they could get it? My tank is about 66 degrees because I have yet to get a heater and its about -12 outside!!! Could the cold make them get NTD? I am getting a heater soon, but for now I heat it up with warm water.

I'm going to put this as plainly as possible, take the fish back, get that tank at a steady 78-80, than get tropical fish, they will die

Actually, 66 degrees isn't very far out of the range for tetras. They are most comfortable at 68 - 74 What else do you have in the tank?

Neons really need a consistent temp, 68 sure, low end of 68-80 range. Adding hot water surely will not keep them stress free and and happy.

Actually, 66 degrees isn't very far out of the range for tetras. They are most comfortable at 68 - 74 What else do you have in the tank?

Hi I have a swordtail, goldfish, tinfoil barb and balloon mollie. I'm pretty sure that they can all be at 68 for a short time. I just saw my original post and I put 66, it's actually at 68 I just checked :)

Neons really need a consistent temp, 68 sure, low end of 68-80 range. Adding hot water surely will not keep them stress free and and happy.

Ok I will just leave it so they will be at a constant temp. I am going to get a heater soon :)

Water temperature I don't think will make a difference (except to slow down the disease perhaps), more if they pick at a fish which has ntd and it transfers .

Water temperature I don't think will make a difference (except to slow down the disease perhaps), more if they pick at a fish which has ntd and it transfers .

That makes sense. good thing none of my tetras has it. Is it common in tetras? I think I am just being paranoid because I have never owned neon tetras before :)

Personally i don't find it as common as everything else that can kill the buggers. :) Interestingly it can occur in other fish but cardinal tetras are meant to be more resistant to it.

Personally i don't find it as common as everything else that can kill the buggers. :) Interestingly it can occur in other fish but cardinal tetras are meant to be more resistant to it.

Wow I didn't know that :) thank you for the info on ntd. In glad that it's not as common as I thought :lol: one more question, is it normal for at least one or two to break out of their school? I notice that once in a while one or two are swimming around outside the school, but then they get back in. Ps sorry for all these questions, I'm a beginner in Tetras :rolleyes:

Wow I didn't know that :) thank you for the info on ntd. In glad that it's not as common as I thought :lol: one more question, is it normal for at least one or two to break out of their school? I notice that once in a while one or two are swimming around outside the school, but then they get back in. Ps sorry for all these questions, I'm a beginner in Tetras :rolleyes:

Also I just have another question, are they considered a hardy fish?

I find that several will 'explore' when the school gets settled in. They seem fairly hardy once settled into a mature tank.

Our tap water here is not quite suited to them which i don't think helps. I find the lfs people wonder themselves how they will go but once past a month they do well.

I find that several will 'explore' when the school gets settled in. They seem fairly hardy once settled into a mature tank.

Our tap water here is not quite suited to them which i don't think helps. I find the lfs people wonder themselves how they will go but once past a month they do well.[/QUOTE

Hey thanks for the info! They have been in for about a week now and at first they would hide behind the decorations, and now they seem a little more active and I'm sure when it warms up they will be even more active. I'm thinking that if they are comfortable, they will break from their school.

Back
Top Bottom