Neon Tetra- he/she sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flavia21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone! I've been worried about my neon tetra's health. I'm not sure what it is but he/she looks bloated. I'm not sure why!! It seems to be occurring more on one side of his/her stomach. Here are some pictures... I tried my best but the fish doesn't seem to want to stay still! Almost seems like it knows I'm taking pictures! Lol hope you can notice what I'm talking about! THANKS

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403849467.489205.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403849542.134158.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403849628.053414.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Anyone? Really worried and want to save it if anything!?

It looks bloated, try not feeding it for a few days. Do a water change etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My water has been sort of brackish ever since. I add a bit of aquarium salt every time I do water changes. I recently did a water change and it looked almost the same. I'm not sure of its over feeding because he eats normal like everyone else. I feel as if he were being over fed he would bloat downward not just to one side. I'm worried because I've never seen him this way. Although he doesn't seem different, he swims normal and does his way usual. Idk ?

That isn't what a pregnant tetra looks like right? ?

Here are some new pics from today:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403934520.983660.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403934631.332085.jpg

Not on the side - I would of thought that to be more a problem rather than gravid. Apart from bloating it could be internal parasites but I favour the bloating to try a cure for first. Do you have a QT at all? Or even a large net - possible a few days in there of no feeding may just cure. Brine shrimp are also meant to help as a laxative.

Just another thought - when you say brackish - what level of sea salt (I assume NaCl?) are you dosing to?

I do a tbsp or tbsp and half of aquarium salt....the recommended dosage the packaging suggests.

Yea I think it's bloated... I'm going to try all the recommended methods and see how it goes! Thanks! All other methods/ideas accepted!

I do a tbsp or tbsp and half of aquarium salt....the recommended dosage the packaging suggests.

Is that per 5 gals? Just wondering if it may be linked to salt dosing or if they have been fine for ages with salt?

Back
Top Bottom