Neon Tetra with white growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshandAmelia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Never had any issues with Neon Tetras before. Of course, I've only had them for 4 months now. Just noticed today that one of them has a white growth on his side near the tail. Looks like a worm or tumor. It's definitely not ich. I took the best pics I could get, but they are constantly swimming around. The afflicted fish is acting completely normal, and I haven't noticed anything with any other fish in the tank.
Ammonia and Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
PH 7.6
Temp 79
75 gallon fully planted, Fluval 405 filter
Set up in late November, used sub from old 55 gallon, and the Fluval was on the 55 as well, so never went through and cycle issues. Stocking is 9 glowlight tetras, 18 neon tetras, 7 Otos, 1 Bolivian Ram, 10 ghost shrimp, 12+assassin snails, and MTS.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420052776.199506.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420052789.565042.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think it's ich. I've had that happen to my platy and guppy before. I would suggest you move it out of your tank immediately before all the other fish get contaminated. Get some ich medicine from your local pet shop and increase the heat. I don't know to much about ich but that's what some people told me to do when I had an ich problem.

David Torres

Thanks for the reply. I've had ich before, but it's doesn't look anything like any ich cysts I've seen before. It looks like a clear sack with a small grain of rice inside. I've never seen anything like it before.

I have very steady and precise hands, so I thought I'd try to remove the "worm" looking thing. I was able to latch onto it with a small set of tweezers. It was FIRMLY attached, although the bubble around the "worm" did break. So I put the neon into my 5 gal hospital tank. Dosing with Tetra lifeguard and some Melafix. I guess we'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom