neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bergy42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are neon tetras too small for a 5 gallon tank? My filter seems to be sucking them up...

Neons have a very low bioload. You probably would be OK in a 5 gallon although it's pushing it. .Your maintenance has to be fantastic.

In any case, the actual issue you're having is probably more the filter is just too powerful. The current probably isn't something the Neons can keep up with. So Neons are probably fine in a 5g, just not in a 5g with a filter of whatever type you have...

Some questions: What exact fish do you have and how many? What exact filter do you have? Is your tank cycled? Can you afford to upgrade to a 10 gallon?

cut a piece of panty hose off and put it around the in take, just make sure you rinse it well with just plain water before you do.

Agree with mom2reads, the pantyhose works good, just be sure that you clean it weekly to remove any heavy debris that can reduce the flow, unless the reduction of flow is what you are looking for......

I have had a school of neons in a 5 gallon before so they will be fine once you do what mom2reds suggested.

Neons grow too large for a 5 gallon IMO. I'd recommend some of the calmer "nano" fish like ember tetras, Boraras spp, sparkling gouramis, celestial pearl danios, etc.

Healthy neons should easily be able to avoid the filter intake. Did you get them all from the same place? Could be poor quality stock (common with neons). How long has your tank been set up? What is your maintenance routine like? Can you post readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Back
Top Bottom