neons and guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinnerflexor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 25 gal planted tank. 3 fancy guppies and 2 penta barbs (peaceful, leaves guppy's alone-I was going to add a few more to make 5)

Can I keep neon tetras with fancy guppies in hard water?

I have hard water-pH 8.2, Recently upgraded to larger tank-slight elevation Ammonia .25, Nitrite .25 and Nitrate 20, it seems to be recycling some. I also have no quarantine tank and have had many problems since beginning the hobby in Feb. I tried a handful of neons, slowly acclimated them, did small daily water changes, yet they never took, didn't really eat and all died. Don't want that experience again.

Neons are notorious for being very sensitive. They are best added to an established and stable tank.

But to answer your question, yes, guppies and neons can live together....

I have neons with a few guppies and other fish. The neons are definitely thriving. They mostly ignore each other except during feeding time when everyone in the tanks goes nuts together.

I think the question was if theycould survive hard water.. noone has answeredd and im curious as well...

I really don't think they will do good in hard water, and even if they do survive, they will be very prone to diseases, like ich, and infect your whole tank, so I would calm down my water a bit

I used to keep neons back before I know anything about how to properly care for an aquarium, and they survived. They can't be too sensitive, because by all rights, everything in that tank should have died...any plenty of other kinds of fish did :(

The city water here is pH 8.2, and though back then I never tested water, I'm assuming the pH was the same back then as it is now.

Back
Top Bottom