Neons without operculum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venymae

Aquarium Advice Addict
Several of my Neon tetras are missing their operculum (gill cover-pics below). At least one of them was bought this way (they gave him to me for free!) but I've noticed it on a couple others as well. Mostly just on one side. Ha. Not a lot of info out there about this (at least that I can find) Do they need special care? I've had them for roughly 2 months without issues (well, besides ich)
87803-albums13781-picture65380.jpg

I love my gutter gills :D

I have a few neons with the same problem, and some that are missing eyes (i bought from a bad batch i guess) anyway mine have been perfectly healthy and happy for about 10 months, so i think yours should be fine too :)

Mine are the same I've got 5 I've had them 6 weeks all lively and eating well I don't think it'll b a problem

Mine are the same I've got 5 I've had them 6 weeks all lively and eating well I don't think it'll b a problem

This almost certainly a genetic deformity due to intensive culture of the fish. It could also be a result of poor nutrition in early growth or even disease damage that rotted the operculum but was halted before major damage or death occured.

Back
Top Bottom