Nerite snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B-Chrono

Aquarium Advice Regular
First of all I have no knowledge about snails but I am considering picking some up due to a brown algae problem. I have a couple of questions I would like answered before I make the decision however. First, how do snails reproduce? Sexually or asexually? If I got just one nerite would I be able to avoid the problem of snail eggs all over my tank? Also, if I were to get some snails would they eat fish eggs whenever my fish decide to spawn?

Thanks

Nerite snails do not breed very readily in freshwater aquariums, however I have heard of them doing such in brackish water.

They are good for knocking out algae to a certain extent, and they are also very interesting to watch. I actually check both of mine frequently throughout the day to see what they're doing, and my two year old loves checking them out also. Win-Win.

And I doubt they'll mess with any fish eggs.

I have a nerite, red ramshorn and mystery.

Ill say the mystery is far better for the algea. Much faster and never stops.

Nerite is nice but VERY slow and somehow disappears throughout the day to some area I Can never find him. Then I turn around and hes back. He must just be magic.

Nerites are likely (if you have several at least) lay eggs. All over the place. Little sesame seed sized eggs stuck with super glue that never decay or leave, and just sit there.

For some people they don't. For some the entire tank gets peppered. Here's a small anubias:

i-vVPRXXD-XL.jpg

Driftwood:

i-WsVkqjC-XL.jpg

And most ironic of all one was laid on the back of a Ramshorn:

i-85CNKWV-L.jpg

Ok, so say I just get 1 nerite and 1 mystery snail, I shouldn't have a problem with the eggs all over correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, so say I just get 1 nerite and 1 mystery snail, I shouldn't have a problem with the eggs all over correct?

I don't know about mystery but I think Nerites are hermaphrodites and even one can lay eggs.

They won't be fertile in fresh water regardless (and I think it takes two to be fertile anyway), but they may still lay.

Or may not... I put some in a quarantine tank and didn't get any eggs there, but my main tank (from the same snails) are full of them. Just depends on the environment and whether they are inspired I guess.

You can always get one or more, and if they start laying eggs and you find it annoying, remove them. Some people mind, some don't. But they are great algae eaters and do no harm to anything else. They also stay above the substrate (mostly) so you know where they are.

The eggs dissolve over time. They really arent a big deal. Although, I wonder what kind of party that ramshorn hosted to get the eggs on his back....

The eggs dissolve over time. They really arent a big deal. Although, I wonder what kind of party that ramshorn hosted to get the eggs on his back....

How long. I've been waiting months.

They haven't kept me from keeping the nerites. in fact it seems that they laid a lot, then backed off. It is a bit hard to tell if they are still laying or not. but Some that I know the location of are still there from the beginning.

Maybe depends on water chemistry?

I know my ghost shrimp love to eat ramshorn eggs, as well sometimes the angelfish, but neither one will touch the nerite eggs.

So went to my lfs to get some snails and a bristlenose pleco. I was planning on getting 1 nerite and 1 mystery snail to just see how that went. They ended up not having any nerites but because they were out he gave me the mystery for free! I then was asking about best plants for someone that has never kept a planted aquarium and he ended up giving me 3 free Java Fern as well! When it was all said and done I walked out as the proud new owner of a new Mystery Snail, an awesome little Bristlenose, and 3 Java Fern for just under $4!

Could Assassin snails possibly take care of the Nerite eggs? Seems plausibly. Could be worth a try, and the research. Anyone had experience with this?

So went to my lfs to get some snails and a bristlenose pleco. I was planning on getting 1 nerite and 1 mystery snail to just see how that went. They ended up not having any nerites but because they were out he gave me the mystery for free! I then was asking about best plants for someone that has never kept a planted aquarium and he ended up giving me 3 free Java Fern as well! When it was all said and done I walked out as the proud new owner of a new Mystery Snail, an awesome little Bristlenose, and 3 Java Fern for just under $4!

That is a steal. Good catch. Java ferns are wonderfully easy, hope you like them. Great for propagating also, not the fastest growers, but that can be a good thing.

So since I got my snail 2 days ago he still hasn't come out of his shell, is this normal?

So since I got my snail 2 days ago he still hasn't come out of his shell, is this normal?

Could be shock, stress, dead..hard to tell. They are generally out and about at night, though. They are tough as nails. (I left two in a bag in my car for 6 hours, and they're perfectly fine, whoops!)

RETURN THE MYSTERY SNAILS! they reproduce like crazy so return them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's not quite true of Mystery snails. If it's female, it can lay a lot of eggs but they lay them above water only, so it's easy to remove the clutch if you don't want it to hatch. You can drown a clutch or crush it before you throw it in the trash or burn it.

Nerites, so far as I can learn, have sexes. so you only get eggs if you have females. But sexing them is impossible, unless you see one laying eggs, in which case you know it's female. So if you get Nerites, chances are you'll get eggs too. The eggs do fade away gradually but it takes a long time and meantime they lay more of them.

They are a tidal marine species, and the eggs are designed to stick around until conditions favourable to hatching occur. That's why they're a bit of pain to remove from wood. But I find a scraper or coarse scrubbie pretty much takes them off most things, if they bother you.

Mystery snails can be sexed, but usually you find out you have a female when you find a clutch of eggs above the water. If there is no surface they can lay eggs on, sometimes they fall out of tanks looking for a suitable place to put eggs, so covering the tank is not a bad idea. They will lay on the underside of hoods, or glass covers and on the side glass if there is enough space above water- they need at least an inch of bare glass and 2- 3 inches is better, assuming you want babies that is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom