New 10 Gallon Fishless Cycle Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

njrock

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys. As the title says, I'm attempting to start a fishless cycle in a new 10 gallon tank with an AquaClear 20 filter. I want to get it started over my college Christmas break, but am concerned I will be gone too long and all of the beneficial bacteria will die off before u return. I plan to leave on the 15th or 16th, and won't return until around New Years. I had planned on adding a healthy dose of straight ammonia (if I can find it), but am afraid one dose won't be enough to keep the bacteria alive until I get back and can add more. What should I do?

If I add a a pretty heavy initial dose of ammonia (~8 ppm), as well as a few good sized pinches of fish food that will break down a few days later to add additional ammonia, will that be enough to sustain the bacteria until I get back?

I know the cycle won't be complete in that short amount of time, but I just want to be sure I can start the cycle and continue it when I get back.

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You'll probably have to find a continuous source of ammonia. The bacteria might die off after 2 weeks without food. Try the shrimp-in-pantyhose fishless cycling trick?

You may want to get a few snails and add them to the water as is. If you feed them 1/2 blanched pea everyother day until you leave they will do the rest. The excess food and snail poop should do the job. I'd look for 3-4 pond or ramshorn snails.

Back
Top Bottom