New 10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ktiedge

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I had a few goldfish and neons in a 10 gallon tank and that didn't go so well. They all died. So I bought a heater today and plan to bring a water sample to the pet store tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas of what types of fish I should buy. Also are there any types of snails or catfish that would do well in this type of tank. I heard snails can leave slime everywhere and multiply rapidly. Thanks for any info.

Please read the link below. Before deciding to purchase anymore fish, take the time to research them for compatibility and suitability to your tank size. 10g is too small for any goldfish. Goldfish and tropicals are not compatible. Also, make sure you understand the nitrogen cycle and decide how you plan on cycling your tank (fishless or fishin). A good water conditioner such as Prime and a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph are important as well. Please ask if you have any questions!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

So I had a few goldfish and neons in a 10 gallon tank and that didn't go so well. They all died. So I bought a heater today and plan to bring a water sample to the pet store tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas of what types of fish I should buy. Also are there any types of snails or catfish that would do well in this type of tank. I heard snails can leave slime everywhere and multiply rapidly. Thanks for any info.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor (y)

I've been finding this very helpful for getting started with the whole "what kind/how many fish can I add" question. I am moving into a 20G tank and it's been a great help to narrow things down.

For one, I don't think you can do a goldfish in a tank that small. They grow to be very big.

The link posted by jlk is a great start!

So I went to my pet store and got 1 heart Molly, 2 red plattys, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 plecco and an aquatic dwarf frog. I also have some fake plants and fake coral. The water is at 78 degrees. My nitrates were high so I did a 50% water change. Anyone see anything that could possibly go wrong?

So I went to my pet store and got 1 heart Molly, 2 red plattys, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 plecco and an aquatic dwarf frog. I also have some fake plants and fake coral. The water is at 78 degrees. My nitrates were high so I did a 50% water change. Anyone see anything that could possibly go wrong?
Do you have a filter? If so, what kind?

Yes I have a HOB aqua clear rated for 20 gallons and a via aqua 50 watt heater rated for 13 gallons.

I know something wrong.. Pictures, we need pictures..lol. I love pics and want a dwarf gourami. I don't think I have heard of a heart Molly.

I plugged in all your credentials into aqadvisor and this is what I got:

Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Platy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
Note: Common Pleco needs driftwood.
Warning: Common Pleco is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 18 inches.
Warning: Common Pleco requires a tank with more height.
Note: African Dwarf Frog are 100% aquatic & should never be out of water. They may jump - lids are recommended. Do not feed freeze-dried or dry pelleted foods which can cause intestinal blockage and death. They are meat eaters and they wont eat flakes. They will eat any fish that will fit in their mouths. Hand feeding recommended if kept in community tanks. Tank depth should not exceed 15 inches because they come up for air and any deeper can be difficult.
Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 672% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Pterygoplichthys pardalis, Hymenochirus boettgeri) or get a larger tank.

Recommended temperature range: 23 - 25 C. [Display in Farenheit]
Recommended pH range: 7 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 11 - 15 dH.

Warning: You NEED to add more aquarium filtration capacity!!!

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 25%.
Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!

Your aquarium stocking level is 298%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.

callisto9 said:
I plugged in all your credentials into aqadvisor and this is what I got:

Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Platy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
Note: Common Pleco needs driftwood.
Warning: Common Pleco is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 18 inches.
Warning: Common Pleco requires a tank with more height.
Note: African Dwarf Frog are 100% aquatic & should never be out of water. They may jump - lids are recommended. Do not feed freeze-dried or dry pelleted foods which can cause intestinal blockage and death. They are meat eaters and they wont eat flakes. They will eat any fish that will fit in their mouths. Hand feeding recommended if kept in community tanks. Tank depth should not exceed 15 inches because they come up for air and any deeper can be difficult.
Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 672% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Pterygoplichthys pardalis, Hymenochirus boettgeri) or get a larger tank.

Recommended temperature range: 23 - 25 C. [Display in Farenheit]
Recommended pH range: 7 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 11 - 15 dH.

Warning: You NEED to add more aquarium filtration capacity!!!

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 25%.
Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!

Your aquarium stocking level is 298%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.

I dont think we needed AqAdvisor to figure out his stock list on this one...

Take the pleco back.. They get large too and produce way too much waste (ammonia) for a 10 gallon. You also stocked way too many fish at once.. In a new aquarium you're probably not cycled (assuming your dead goldfish and neons were the first inhabitants). If you didn't read the article link from jik and don't plan to learn about cycling, just buy (at the very least) a bottle of Tetra Safe Start and dose your tank with that immediately. You NEED beneficial bacteria to process the toxic ammonia your fish produce... Otherwise, you'll end up with more dead fish soon. I encourage you to do some research and take the advice of folks on here. But if you're that eager to stock your tank, which is what it sounds like by you getting all those fish right away, at least get the Tetra Safe Start..

A Molly will outgrow your tank. Often they need salinity and better filtration than most livebearers

Platys make an exceptionally good substitute

So it seems like the fish store gave me some misinformation. Try said the frog would be fine eating left over flakes from the fish and they said the fish would do fine in the tank. Also I'm not sure what kind of plecco I have, they said it wot grow more then the size it is now which is 1.5-2 inches.

My tank was Also recycled after the golds and neons died. Took a water sample to the pet store and they said it was fine other the the nitrates which would be corrected with the water change.

Sounds like the local fish store is giving you all kinds of wrong information. By your own words, they said those fish would all do fine together and the pleco is fine... Now you're going to trust them with telling you whether or not your tank is cycled?

Ktiedge said:
Also I'm not sure what kind of plecco I have, they said it wot grow more then the size it is now which is 1.5-2 inches.

Even the smaller species of plecos (i.e. bristlenose) are not suitable for a tank your size. They have large bioloads, meaning they produce a lot of ammonia, and would make the water quality poor in short time.

Back
Top Bottom