New 10 gallon! What fish should i choose??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i have a new 10 gallon tank and i want to know based off of your advice what to stock it with. I want to have about 4 bigger fish. ( bigger then my other tank full of tetras that is ) i already have a smaller angel fish to put in there and want to put in a paradise fish also. But what else? Could i put in a different species of guormi without fights? What else? Thank you!!

Ummm... that would be too much. Do you have a bigger tank for the angelfish when it gets bigger? They need around a 29 gallon. Paradise fish too, no way.

The angel fish might yes, but the paradise fish is only around 3 inches full grown (got this info from pet shop). So if i cant get it, do you have any other suggestions..?

No, the paradise fish would be fine in there on their own, but with the angelfish, no. If you got the paradise fish I'd get two and that's it. If not what type of fish do you like? School, big, more, colorful, top, bottom? Any other preferences?

If by Paradise fish you mean Macropodus opercularis then I'm pretty sure they can get up to 10cm (4ins)which for a 10g is pretty much a third of the tank length. If you like more "showy" fish, have a look at Gertrude Rainbow fish (1.5 ins long ish) or Honey blue eye rainbow fish (2 ins long ish).

Oh okay ill count that one out then. Are there any types of small colorful gouramis that wouldnt be aggresive twoards eachother? Because i know some can be a pain to other fish, correct?

Dwarf gourami is a good one. you could put some nano fish in there too if you got one.

And the dwarfs wouldnt get picked on or hurt eachother? Shouldnt they be opposite genders too?

I would only get one gourami. If by any chance you could come across a female one that would work, but that would be insanely hard to find because they only sell males. You could get one dwarf gourami and 6 CPDs or endlers. That;d be great! Oh and some plants as well.

Ok good idea! The only think is that im putting drift wood and fake plants in this tank because my other one gets verry dirty because of the real ones i have in there! Oh and what are CPDS? What do you think about

1 angelfish
1 dwarf gourami
2-3 cory catfish
..?

If you're going to keep the angelfish hold off on the gourami for a while. CPD are celestial pearl danio
danio_CelestialPearl1.jpg
Endlers are amazing as well. They are great size for that tank
Endler%20Solid%20Red%20Peacock.jpg

I would do 5-6 DWARF/PYGMY corydoras others wouldn't be good.

Ok and if i had a angel fish and dwarf how many cory should i get? And wont the angel fish grow according to the space it has? I get the angel fish from a friend who had to give away all of his fish and he had a 10 gallon. I think its as big as it will get but im not sure. Couldnt endlers be eaten by an angel

The angel will get shrunk, actual name I forget. But you really need to get that angel a bigger tank. Even a 20 h would be good. I wouldn't but anything in that tank with the angel because it'll probably get attacked.

It could possibly get stunted in that size tank, which is not really something you'd want to do for the fishes sake. The 'fish grow to the size of the tank' thing is mostly mythology. Some fish get stunted and stay small, but many will just keep on growing.

I've got a superveil angelfish that's dorsal fin would literally stick out of the top of that size tank.

Ya i eish i could get a bigger tank! But i have no space. Im going to get a 30 in december possibly so i think he could hold out untill then. So should i really not put anything else in the tank? Would gabriel (his name haha) really eat a dwarf?!

I think that he'd be fine until december. Gabriel wouldn't eat the dwarf but one of the two would be seriously hurt or even fatally hurt, either nipped or stressed or bullied.

Oh wow really?! Glad i asked!! So are there any fish the size of a dwarf that would get along with gabriel?

There would be, but not in the 10 gallon. I feel really bad for saying this, but I don't think that anything can be put in there unless it would be killed/badly injured.

Back
Top Bottom