New 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

croatian2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have started a small ten gallon which has been running for a few months.

I need some suggestions on stock.
I was thinking of getting into bottom dwellers like shrimp,botias,loaches and catfish.
Any suggestions ?

Unfortunately, that tank is too small for any bottom dwellers besides nano fish like pygmy cories. However, pygmy cories and shrimp would make for a fun, interesting tank.

I have started a small ten gallon which has been running for a few months.

I need some suggestions on stock.
I was thinking of getting into bottom dwellers like shrimp,botias,loaches and catfish.
Any suggestions ?

Of your tank has just been running without an ammonia source of some kind, whether it be pure ammonia, fish and fish food, you don't have a cycled tank. Read over these links to help you understand cycling.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-jus...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-a...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

As others have said your tank is too small for most of the fish you want. If you can upgrade to a 30 gal you'll have more options (the skunk loaches are very active though and need to be in a group, so a tank larger than 30 gal would be better for them).

You could turn the 10 gal into a shrimp tank though. They are fun to watch. Other options for a 10 gal would be:

-- a single betta (you could add shrimp and snail(s) if the betta tolerates them) OR
-- two dwarf puffers OR
--3 african dwarf frogs OR
--a group of 6 nano fish like ember tetra, celestial pearl danio or chili rasbora. You could also add 4 pygmy or dwarf corys (not easy to find though and other types of cory are too large and active for a 10); you could add shrimp too OR
-- 3-4 guppies; shrimp OR
--2 platy and shrimp

This guide might help too: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice As Mrs.h2012 said if the tank has just been running empty it's no longer cycled.

Sorry I have had a convict in it that I am moving to a new tank and I cycled it before that

A great place for cheap nano fish is Msjinxd.com(I think that is how you spell it.)

Broke it down and went out and bought a 26 gallon bowfront

Back
Top Bottom