New 12 gallon planted tank (help needed)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snakeapartment

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, thanks for looking. So I am starting a 12 gallon planted tank in a Fluval Edge tall 12 gallon. Guy at pet store said this was adequate and now I hear people on here saying the lighting isn't strong enough. Which is it? Ahhhhh

So I'm day 2 on a fishless cycle. Fluval stratum at about 1.5 inches as substrate. Put in water conditioner, nite out 2, in a 2/3 filled tank on day 1. Day 2 I introduced dwarf hairgrass just to get it going. I'm patient and don't need fish immediately but want to make sure I'm on the right track so far. Some questions...

-Should I have the heater on during my cycle?
-do I need to be using a supplement for the plants or is there enough in the substrate?
-my friend has an established fake-plant tank. Should I take some of his water?

I've been truly searching this forum and there is a bit of conflicting advice. I'm new to this and want to do it right. Any help very appreciated. Happy holidays!

I dont know the supplied lights well but i would say no, unless low light plants.

Your substrate, what is it? Edit* fluval stratum should be fine and ive heard good things.

Water wont cycle the tank, gunk from the filter or a piece of sponge or another form media will help the process.

Running your heater will help the cycle along as the bacteria multiply at faster rate in warmer water.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387848264.372183.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387848312.149212.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387848340.295137.jpg
Thank you for responding. The stock lights are pretty bright... But that also makes sense. I'll look into low lighting plants. I am using Fluval Stratum for substrate and how not put any supplements in the water yet. Should I immediately?

The bacteria you want like the water warm, like even up to 86.
Yes, feed your plants. Excell daily, ferts weekly (Like Flourish) , Iron weekly & root tabs for swords. There are other options - dry ferts & Metricide for instance.
Using established media will always help start a tank.
Do you have an API liquid test kit?

Im going to have to disagree with the ferts at those sort of doses. The 46led light that also fits the 6gallon isnt going to be adequate for the plants to grow at any a rate fast enough to require such a fert injection, stick with afew root tabs if you must but the substrate should be good enough but i could be wrong, anyone else? Upgrading the light? Ferts and co2 would be great addition

Java ferns, anubias, java moss all grow well under low light.

Last edited:
Ok thanks! I appreciate the help and am still open ears.
Also what is the right planting method for dwarf hairgrass? I just sorta pushed the roots into the substrate and surrounded with rocks and gravel to hold it steady. This ok?

Wasn t sure what light OP had . A lot of people upgrade to medium light if they want to get their feet wet :) with live plants. More options but no need for a CO2 unit. Just assumed with the initial light question, the OP was looking to upgrade. Maybe I m just writing my own story here....

I'm really trying not to upgrade as the Fluval Edge has a built in light that looks like it would be a real endeavor to replace. And it would change the overall look of the hood of the tank.

Ok so I'm going to get root tabs and flourish and use it sparingly and see how that works.

Is it ok to be cycling with live plants? I heard it can cause algae.

Sorry then, my mistake. Molliwop is right on with their advice then, stick with low light plants. Hope you really enjoy your new tank & have a Happy Holiday!

I have a Fluval 12g Edge and if you use the LED lighting on the tank it is low light but I was able to grow Anubia, Bolbitus, Java ferns, and Water Sprite without issue. But I did use liquid carbon (Excel, API CO2 Booster, Metricide 14) at a rate of 1ml liquid carbon to every 3 gallons daily and this really helped with plant growth in such low light. I also dosed Seachem Flourish Comprehensive weekly after a WC. Also ran lighting about 9 hours daily due to the low intensity of it. Later on I wanted higher light plants and added a Build My LED fixture that sits on little rubber feet right on top of the tank in front of the black hood cover. You have what appears to be Dwarf hair grass which will not work with the standard LED's.

Ok. Points all taken. Thanks so much. Do you have any pics of your custom lighting? I'm really interested in what you set up! Thanks.

Is it me or does that "dwarf hairgrass" appear to be Blyxa Japonica, instead?

Edit: My mistake. I see the DHG. The Blyxa won't do too well in low light.

What about mosses in low light? I've been running my light 8-10 hours daily.

Pretty much all mosses should do fine in low light. It won't grow as thick and bushy but it would still look nice.

Perfect. I do like the way moss looks. Have any of you used Flora pride by Tetraplant? My buddy has kept a tank for a while successfully but doesn't seem to know much about it. Says his tank thrives best in neglect. Haha. Funny but true. Rarely loses fish and always pretty clean/clear. Anyway, he gave me an old bottle to start me off.

So next trip to aquarium store I'm getting water sprite and moss. And any other low light plants they recommend.

Java moss is nice and would probably still grow in the dark, seriously java ferns and moss just tend to grow regardless. Let me rustle up a picture of my very first tank.

No ferts no nothing but twice weekly water changes

Last edited:
Please do! Can anyone identify the taller plants I've got in the back behind the dwarf hair grass?

Back
Top Bottom