New 125 Project!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok guys and gals!

Got this smokin deal off of Craigslist for a 125 galIMG_0182.JPG tank and stand with 2 canister filters. Cascade 1500 and 1000. Done some research and seen both positive and not so positive information on these canisters. I would like to use them if they are worth it.

I'm needing some advice on these canisters or maybe some different options.

It was an established tank with fancy goldfish, bio sponges and tons of media which I have saved in tank water in the picture below. The main question/concern I have is they stated they had an algae problem over a month ago but was since then "fixed". Should I use all this media/sponges or start from scratch?!? Clean off the media/sponges in tank water and should be fine or kill off the bacteria with tap water, IMO not a good idea but still uncertain with the algae issue.

Excuse the mess I'm in the middle of cleaning all equipment and such!

Any and all advice helps!IMG_0182.JPGIMG_0184.JPG

IMO, try to preserve the bacteria. Much easier on the fish than doing a completely new cycle. As far as the algae goes, where did they have their tank placed? If it was in an area that got a lot of direct, or even ambient sunlight, algae would be a problem. If you can put your tank in a place where it gets little or no sunlight, and don't have a full-spectrum lighting system, algae shouldn't be a problem. If it starts to grow again, simply clean it off the glass when you do water changes. Rinsing decor in hot water will usually kill any algae growths, and a gentle brushing after rinsing will normally remove it.
I can't say anything about your filters, as I've never used a Cascade product, but since you have them already, why not give them a try and see how you like them?
Congrats on getting a good deal on your tank. Gotta love Craigslist. Got a couple tanks from there myself.

Thank you for the advice! It was hard to pass up when I saw it.

They had a window up high that had no blind on it so it was directly on the tank.

Should I rinse the media in the water it is in currently or transfer it to another bucket once I do a water change in my existing tank and clean it there? It is pretty "mucked up".Maybe I will use the sponges. Most of the media is plastic and from what I understand porous ceramic is much more effective.

All in time but Lake Malawi welcome to my living room/dining room! Haha.

For now, I would rinse it gently in the water it's in. After a week or so, change the media in 1 filter, the change the other filter a couple weeks later, so the bacteria has time to build up on the new media. You'll likely need to do twice weekly water changes while your cycle gets restarted.

Back
Top Bottom