new 20 long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium 308

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was at my lfs the other day and saw a 20L for $20. Ive always like the usuable space they have. I have a 20T tank now that is a peaceful community tank. Im currently getting a 10gallon set up now as a shrimp tank. I figured for a few bucks I can get this 20L going. Most expensive part will be the finnex planted + light. Im thinking of a semi aggressive tank. Red tail shark, one crayfish (really like the red lobsters) and a male/female pair of bolivian rams. Anything else I could add for algae control? Not sure if Otos would be ok with a shark and crayfish. Any objections to my thoughts.

I like this tank size. Great footprint for the volume. Shallow, too.
That light might be overkill if you are not growing plants. It provides medium light. The FugeRay or StingRay might have been more appropriate.
The RTS should be fine temporarily, however, it's eventual size and aggressive coupled with the limited tank size may be a problem down the road with any tank mates. Not sure if Otos and crays make a good combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm with fresh, pretty sure the cray will actively hunt otos, or any fish really..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like this tank size. Great footprint for the volume. Shallow, too.
That light might be overkill if you are not growing plants. It provides medium light. The FugeRay or StingRay might have been more appropriate.
The RTS should be fine temporarily, however, it's eventual size and aggressive coupled with the limited tank size may be a problem down the road with any tank mates. Not sure if Otos and crays make a good combo.

I do plan on making this a planted tank. Probably gonna do a sand substrate. I had a rts as a teenager growing up. Had it for 8 years. It was about 5". That was in 20T. Shouldnhave had a bigger tank but didn't know better. Later im lookin at a larger tank so he would be moved. It would chase other fish but never would fin nip. If i had to cut out the crayfish do u all think the rams would do ok with otos and a rts.

I'm with fresh, pretty sure the cray will actively hunt otos, or any fish really..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The bIue cray I had as a teenager was with a rts, plecostimus, silver dollars and he left all them alone but ya the otos concern me. I like them for algae duty. My other tank seems to be growing the plants ok but I get my share of algae. Love otos for the clean up

Crays and plants are not usually a good combo. They can destroy a well planted tank.
You will definitely be able to grow algae with that light on this tank.

Fresh2o I have the 24" planted + on my 20T and it grows the algae but it also has improved my plants over the 15w florescent bulb I had.

Crays and plants bad idea
RTS not suited for this size tank.

Otos are perfect for a 20L

Look at CPOs. Mexican Dwarf Crays. Nice and ok with plants

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fresh2o I have the 24" planted + on my 20T and it grows the algae but it also has improved my plants over the 15w florescent bulb I had.

I agree. Great fixture for plants. I have one on my 20g long:
ia0BIYk.png

The algae comment was thrown in to emphasize the strength of the lighting; when the ferts, lighting, and CO2 are not in balance, the potential for rampant algae growth is high.

I agree. Great fixture for plants. I have one on my 20g long:
ia0BIYk.png

The algae comment was thrown in to emphasize the strength of the lighting; when the ferts, lighting, and CO2 are not in balance, the potential for rampant algae growth is high.

Impressive. I think my algae problem is that they get more than 8 hours of light a day. Usually at least 10. Some days 12. Just depends when I get home from work. I should get a timer. I use api carbon boost daily and api leaf zone weekly. I put a few tabs monthly near my amazon sword.
Thanks like the picture now I have something to stive for.

Yes, get a timer. Excessive hours can lead to algae outbreaks. It's all about the balance of lights, ferts, and carbon.
Thanks for the compliment! There are tanks on this site that I strive the emulate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom