new 240gl, drilled tank + canister setup (need help)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exoticaquariumspecies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i traded my 155 bowed for a 240gl last weekend. I finally got my 5x 1" double screwed bulkheads (and screw in plugs) in today. i need my tank running yesterday lol. Trying to figure out my best way to go within 2 options. I kept my filtration from the previous setup, 2 sunsun 500gph 5 stage external canister filters. this is what i am thinking of setting up just using t's and using the drilled holes. would like others inputs. my other alternative is to use the canisters up and over the top but this thing is big and tall. 8' long over 6' high.

(i should include i do not want to use a sump)

the top of the intake will have some type of screening over it so fish cant get sucked into it.

%21idea.jpg

pic of the tank in my room from over the weekend, my gf near it.
!240new%20tank.jpg

Make it easy by going up and over. No need to make it more complex by using the drilled holes if you dont want to use a sump.

i came up with a design with the help of others on redearslider.com

i have a fully finished tank front/back with a canopy and i am not drilling into the side of the canopy to run the lines also they will be so high i will have a much lesser flow rate for the filters.

the 2nd inline valves are to fill the pipes with water (easy priming)
also the pic shows going a lot higher that the water level in the tank is but i will go even with it. (just didn't edit the pic)

top pic is the intake/ second is the return.

if anyone has any better ideas to add let me know. thanks (y)

%21physics.jpg

%21physics2.png

%21physics2.jpg

Why do you want less flow rate from both canister? 6 elbows for the return line will significantly reduce the flow. You will end up with less than 1000gph from the combined uses of the sunsuns.

ok, after going to home depot twice, redesigning a little and not being able to find 1" pvc wye's this is what i have so far. then i was able to find them online. but i think this will work.

not the prettiest, not completed, just starting, mocking up stage, nothings tight or glued yet, again this is for 2 filters,

i went with ball valves temporary (I have been 2 weeks and counting my aquarium hasn't been setup since i traded the 155)

i tried to use as many 45's instead of 90's to maximize flow.

tomorrow i hope to complete the mocking stage and the turtle ramp/dock

(in this pic, below)
the end cap pvc pieces inside the tank will be cut to act as a strainer, I got the idea from this guy,

DIY Overflow Strainer.AVI - YouTube

(in this pic, below)
the left would be the return, the right would be the intake. (bulkheads are loose, reason its leaning)

%21tankfiltration1.jpg

(in this pic, below)
the left is the return to the tank, and the right is the intake to the filters

(top ball valves are to help fill the tubes so there wont be any air gap issues)

these will be outside of the tank on the back against the wall and the left parts going into the tank underneath to the 2 drilled holes the rights going to the filters (2 intake 2 returns).

%21tankfiltration2.jpg

(in this pic, below)
one of the drilled fitting connections
%21tankfiltration3.jpg

(in this pic, below)
this one has a ball valve also but its a picture from the back so it doesn't show.

%21tankfiltration4.jpg

Hard to imagine the setup. Be sure the canisters are easy to remove for cleaning. Your setup is not ideal for big fishes. Probably good for a planted tank with lots of tiny fishes (danios, tetras, killifish, etc).

redid the design a little,

little update. still not done but close now. redid the setup with the suggested hose, added unions for easy canister removal, added more valves and made some diy strainers, put it all together, got all my lights setup, temperary turtle dock (same one i had before will make longer one when i get more $) all i have to do is,

1. pvc glue some fittings
2. teflon tape some other fittings
3. move my dual air stone bubbler with two 12" bubbler stones.
4. add water to my filters
5. add water through the top valves (to bleed the system)
6. add water to tank
7. make sure everything is good
8. add sand
9. add lava rocks
10. plug in everything. (maybe have the press the prime buttons on my canisters, maybe wont don't know)
11. enjoy tank
need to buy a background. I am thinking blue, since i have only been using black, but it will be a blue/black flip one.

some pics..

new1resized.jpg

new2resized.jpg

new3resized.jpg

new4resized.jpg

new5resized.jpg

new6resized.jpg

new7resized.jpg

new8resized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom