New 29 Gallon Help & Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do appreciate the heads up on the timer info. It would be nice to put the different colors on at different times so if I dont have to worry about the "daylight" lights being cut off if I work a late night.

We need a like button here in the community

2 cents on filter, I will recommend to get a canister. I have aquaclear 70 and penguin 200 on my 29 g bowfront. I think there is too much work to get these HOBs clean. I do clean them every couple of weeks. Aqua clear is pretty good, provides lots of space in media customization. Though I am ending up getting canister, coming tomorrow. SunSun 704B. I think this one is going to provide even more space for media, and lots of water polishing options. I had 10 G before and my water used to be super clear. I have always struggled on my 29g to achieve same and still learning. Just thought of throwing few lines based on experience.
Also good choice on water circulation, added that on my list. I think warter circulation in important in planted tanks.

I am using finnex 24/7 btw. Though I will suggest using cheaper option on timer. That would work just fine IMO.

A canister filter would be really nice to have especially for clear water like you said. I dont mind a good bit of upkeep as I find it helps me relax after a hard day at work.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to help the water on the calm/dead side of the tank get back to the filter to be circulated through.

Are you talking about using the cheaper option for the timer on the Beamswork light or the Finnex light?

I'm just going to throw this out to you. Your dresser is nearly 4 feet tall add the height of the tank to it. Can you still reach the bottom of the tank? It's the mistake I made. My table and tank are a total of 4 feet high & it's very hard to work with.

A canister filter would be really nice to have especially for clear water like you said. I dont mind a good bit of upkeep as I find it helps me relax after a hard day at work.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to help the water on the calm/dead side of the tank get back to the filter to be circulated through.

Are you talking about using the cheaper option for the timer on the Beamswork light or the Finnex light?

My point is no point going for 24/7 option. For mine I do not use 24/7 option at all and I use max light setting on timer. So rather than going for 24/7 u can purchase maybe 2 lights.

That's just my opinion, am learning to use money more wisely in this hobby :)

Was looking to get the filter ordered today and wanted to see if y'all had some opinions on 2 different filters. The filters are below and price points are listed also. Seems like I've heard a lot of good things about the Aquaclear. The Seachem send really feature rich. What do y'all think?

#1: Aqua Clear 70 ($46.47)

#2: Seachem Tidal 55 ($54.00)

Any thoughts on the filters and the 1w Beamswork 6500k light? I am going to try to make one big order for the equipment rather than several small. By this coming Wednesday I'll be making the order.

Instead of running a long bubble stone/wand would it be better to run a sponge filter? Totally new sponge filters but seems like they work really well

Sponge filters are great. Stay away from bubblers if your adding live plants. It off gasses the natural Co2.

Thank you for that bit of info @TMaier I would have made a grave mistake putting one in. All I need is a circulation pump and a the pump right? Maybe a Co2 system down the road once I get some spare funds? Would the bubbles from the sponge filter alter the gasses in a planted tank?

You really don't have to have one at all. Your canister is doing the work. With the output agitation at the surface you will get the oxygen exchange. I have added a sponge to my intake to act as a prefilter and to house more beneficial bacteria.

So I put an order in today for the following.

1 x 30" Beamswork 6500k .50w
1 x Beamswork timer
1 x API freshwater master test kit (been using strips)
1 x Aquaclear 70 HOB power filter
1 x Hydor Koralia Nano 425gph pump
1 x Hydor 150w heater
1 x 30" Aqueon Versa Top
1 x bottle of Osmacote
1 x 200ct gel capsules

I am sure I missed something. What do y'all think so far?

Planning on using pool filter sand for the substrate

Do I need to make an order for Flourish and Flourish Excel?

Other than Prime by Seachem what would you think might be the starter chems needed to get going in the planted world?

That 425 GPH pump is gonna be strong in the tank. I use a 240 and it's more than enough.

I wouldn't add any ferts to the water unless you start seeing issues.

I might should have ordered a smaller pump. If it is too strong and no way to adjust the flow I may have to get a smaller one. I hope it will be ok.

Once I get the sand put down, the pump/filter set up, put the plants in, and start the cycling the tank would you put any diy root tabs in the substrate right to start with or just leave it be unless signs of stress start showing?

I was planning once I get around to adding water to treat the water with prime and take some of the filter media from my nearing 2 year old 10 gallon and get the bacteria going. Maybe run the lights around 4-6hrs a day to help keep the chance of algae down. What are your thoughts?

New 29 Gallon Help & Questions

Put the root tabs in at the start. Using your established media will definitely move things along. Make sure you feed it with an ammonia source. Lights 3 hours with and hour break and then another 3 would be a great start.

Thank you for the continuing help on this @TMaier In your opinion what would be a good source of ammonia? Maybe 3 hours full light and 3 hours of just blue?

I would put some fish food in every day. It will decay and create ammonia. But perhaps one of the official "how to cycle" threads has some specific pure ammonia to use.

The blue lights are just to look pretty. I would stick to 6 hours of real light.

Back
Top Bottom