New 29 gallon!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've gotten a 29 gallon for a great great price which came with a good filter and heater, all for only around 60 bucks! I've got small gravel substrate, a lot of silk and live plants and a couple different caves and rocks. My problem is what to stock it with! Can you list some fish and how many would be good together in a 29 gallon tank? It's 30 long, 12 deep, and 18 tall. Please leave a set like "8 neons, 6 cories, ect." Not just "neons and cories"

I forgot to mention I'd really like to have quite a few different species in the tank.

I have 5 Asian Glass Catfish and 6 Cherry Barbs in my 29g. Many fish to choose from; in the 1"-2" range, 2 schools of 6-8 individuals. Anything larger, plan carefully and research.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've got a 29 gallon, also, I have 1 emerald green cory and have not found any available to make a school for him. So, I'm hoping to get a school of 5 or 6 false julii. They are very energetic and fun to watch. But, they are jumpers so all openings need to be secured.

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

I just started stocking my 29 today, put in 6 neon tetras, and 2 opaline gouramis.

Sent from my PG86100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would wait before putting tetras in the tank till it is cycled but you could put some barbs in there , but pick ones that stay small , then add a bunch of tetras
30 tetras in a 29 gal would look great

I just started stocking my 29 today, put in 6 neon tetras, and 2 opaline gouramis.

Sent from my PG86100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tetras tend to be picky while your tank is cycling. However I cycled my tank with very picky fish. The key is to invest in a liquid (not strips) test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Then test the water daily, be ready to do 10 gallon water changes, some times daily, for the first little while. Look up fish tank cycling and do some reading on it. Then plot your levels either with an app or on a piece of graph paper. I used the following print offs...

http://freshaquarium.about.com/library/begin/xcolorammoniachart.htm

and

http://freshaquarium.about.com/library/begin/ncolornitritechart.htm

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sharkbait, what's your experience level? Is the tank cycled yet? If not, read up on the nitrogen cycle. If you are new to the hobby, I would recommend gradually stocking (very gradually) a couple schools of small fish and see how that goes. I made the mistake of adding too many fish at once. I added a school of 10 sick fish almost 3 months ago and I'm still dealing with the effects.

I'd recommend starting with 6 Zebra Danios or 6 Harlequin Rasboras, waiting at least a few weeks before adding the other group. Then you could get almost any of the Cory Catfish species to work the bottom of the tank. I have some Julii Corys and love them. Red Cherry Shrimp are also a ton of fun to watch, but it's best to wait until your tank is established and has plenty of biofilm before adding shrimp.

Lots of good info above. One of many possible stocking solutions...

6 Zebra Danios
7 Cherry Barbs
8 Neon Tetras
4 Corys

The Danios are the hardiest, so add those first. I'd probably add the Neons last.

Back
Top Bottom