New 30 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, it's in the sump, that ok. I'm wanting to cover sump. Worried about splash

Ok, no glass on the display. I may put one on the sump. I will try to cut down on the return noise. Update is two raw shrimp were placed in the sump today at 12 to kick start the cycle.

Live stock options?

A clown (small)
Fire fish
Dwarf wrass
Goby
Benny??????
Two shrimp
Two crabs (Pom Pom for sure)

Coral,

Will start with some nice Zoe's and recordia. Then work I. My way up. Will like to try some color sticks down the road! Super happy. Can't wait to get some life in this tank

Lots of bubbles out of return. Think I may need to hard plumb with a valve?? Or is it just dust from sand? I put sand in yesterday. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402540513.301539.jpg

Looks like your just starting. Your nitrates should be very high at the end of the cycle

Ok, thanks, didn't know that. Will continue to test.

Add more rock and sand! 30 pounds of sand and about 55 pounds of rock in it now. So ready for life in the tank! All 0's on test with nitrates rising. Think I'm about ready for a CC! Have feather busters growing on rock now. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403455609.586765.jpg

Nitrates still not budging. Everything is 0???? Suggestions??

2 weeks since the shrimp fully decomposed and there is no livestock in the tank? With no source of ammonia, be it poop, food, a shrimp, whatever, the bacteria can't survive. If there hasn't been anything in the tank for 2 weeks you basically have an unicycled tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404297158.388720.jpgammonia .5 ppm nitrites 0ppm and nitrates at 5 ppm. What next a water change? Salinity is 1.024, isn't that a little low?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1.024 is just fine, you just don't want to go lower than that. I keep my reef tank around 24-25.
In terms of your cycle, you want to make sure you are consuming the ammonia in a 24 hour period. So, once that ammonia is gone dose it again. That is, unless you are using a cocktail shrimp to cycle then you are getting pretty close to done.

Looking for a light for my sump, is a bulb with 5000 k enough for the sump?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom