New 30 Gallon, Substrate/Plant Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the setup I'm dreaming of right now. Haha.

- 8 Cardinal Tetras
- 6 Cories (Julii or Panda probably) or Otos, not sure
- 2-4 Gouramis

Do you think that would be over stocking in a 30 gallon? I know it's the usual rule of 1" per gallon... but I dunno.

Have you checked out Aqadvisor.com? It has been extremely helpful to me :)

Ok, so I worked it out and having that amount would be way understocking my tank... which would be fine, but I like having a lot of fish. I worked it out to where I have exactly 100% capacity (probably not good, but I can work it out)

Here's my list (as of now)

-10 Cardinal Tetra
-7 Corydoras (Panda)
-4 Dwarf Gourami
-6 Guppies (2 male, 4 female)
-1 Oto Cat!

You get that combination of guppies, and you're gonna have more guppies than you know what to do with :)

I have NO experience with guppies, maybe I should not do guppies, and get more otos?

Guppies are livebearers right? so.. yeah... I don't know. You think the new little guppies would make it? What would be a good way to combat this problem? I read that there's problems with all males.

I can't say I have experience with guppies either...my understanding is simply hearsay! I guess they are like the rabbits of the fishy world...if ya know what I mean :) lol!

Yeah, I've read that they reproduce an exorbitant amount of little ones. Haha. Blast! My plan has been foiled again! I just like the guppies because they remind me of bettas and that's what made me fall in love with fish to begin with.

Corbo said:
Yeah, I've read that they reproduce an exorbitant amount of little ones. Haha. Blast! My plan has been foiled again! I just like the guppies because they remind me of bettas and that's what made me fall in love with fish to begin with.

Ya, Bettas made me fall in love as well!! Nothing more beautiful and graceful around

I would ditch the guppies and do more ottos. They do better in larger groups, but are very sensitive to water conditions, so be sure to add them last. And +1 to guppies breeding like rabbits, unless you have another tank, or your LFS will buy the fry back from you, don't go there, or get just males. My LFS has them divided up between male and female, and the female tank ALWAYS has fry in it! Good luck! I'm starting a 29 gallon this summer, so I'm jealous that you get to start sooner!

Ok yeah sounds good. I'll have to ditch the guppies. They're awesome looking, but I don't have the means of truly taking care of them.

Corbo said:
I have NO experience with guppies, maybe I should not do guppies, and get more otos?

If you are unsure with the guppies, otos do prefer to be in about groups of three or more. They are fairly dainty too, I've had about 4 of them die on me in the first 2 weeks. Oh well. Wasn't meant to be.

Predfan27 said:
If you are unsure with the guppies, otos do prefer to be in about groups of three or more. They are fairly dainty too, I've had about 4 of them die on me in the first 2 weeks. Oh well. Wasn't meant to be.

Well, that makes me nervous... I don't like having dead fish. Maybe I should go with something heartier. I think I could handle Otos, but still scares me!

If you wanted to control algae without a giant place or a dainty oto I would go with a bristle nose pleco. They seem to always be active as far as algae control but grow to a max of about 6 inches. Good luck! I mean I have faith that you can keep the otos alive. They are so flippin cute!

Back
Top Bottom