"New" 30g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharpieItBlack

Aquarium Advice Regular
I replaced the gravel in my tank... mixed red and black clashed with everything inside and all my furniture outside. I made sure I did it during a regular water change and kept my Goldie safe. But it looks sooooooo much better now!! Tell me what you think!
Also added a second 30g filter so I now have a 35 and a 30 filter for a total of 65 :p

ForumRunner_20130319_144806.jpg

ForumRunner_20130319_144758.jpg

ForumRunner_20130319_144749.jpg

ForumRunner_20130319_144742.jpg

ForumRunner_20130319_144735.jpg

What a pretty fish! I bet s/he loves the new decor.

And good on you for adding additional filtration. Goldfish tanks almost always need more filtration.

I agree, Sharpie! Tank looks amazingly clear!

So now all you have is the black gravel by itself?

Seems black is the color -- whether it's in substrate or on a background -- that really brings out the oranges and reds of fancies...:blink::fish1:

I agree, Sharpie! Tank looks amazingly clear!

So now all you have is the black gravel by itself?

Seems black is the color -- whether it's in substrate or on a background -- that really brings out the oranges and reds of fancies...:blink::fish1:

Thanks! It's just gravel and fake plants with those two decor pieces. I usually do tank cleanings every Sunday, or Monday when I get out of classes. I consider it a workout :p I don't typically remove my decor, but once a month I remove them all and wash out poo and excess food that isn't picked up by vacuuming or filters.
I've been thinking about adding an airstone too.

Thanks! It's just gravel and fake plants with those two decor pieces. I usually do tank cleanings every Sunday, or Monday when I get out of classes. I consider it a workout :p I don't typically remove my decor, but once a month I remove them all and wash out poo and excess food that isn't picked up by vacuuming or filters.
I've been thinking about adding an airstone too.

Cool...airstones and bubble bars definitely add some kind of touch that's unique...

Here's the way my current (new) 60 gallon looks with two bubble curtains in the back -- tell me what you think!

It's definitely in progress, and nowhere near complete...we're still deciding on a theme direction (right now it's a first stage "attempt" at some kind of "Asian/Zen" thing for the goldfish heritage...):

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 87
My general theme is my favorite video game. Even named my fish after the main character!

It has the crashed plane in the sea like the game has, rocks, and I'm working on getting some different brightly colored plants.

The problem being is that the vibrant bright decor has sharp edges. And I don't wanna harm my fish :(

What game is this based on? And what's that piece of decor that looks like a wrecked sub or plane?

What did you think of my tank? :brows:

What game is this based on? And what's that piece of decor that looks like a wrecked sub or plane?

What did you think of my tank? :brows:

BIOSHOCK THE BEST GAME EVER MADE AND WILL EVER BE MADE!!!!!!!! Haha talking about BIOSHOCK makes me super happy!!

The piece is a wrecked plane, which is how the first game starts out. I don't really like rocks, so I have mostly the plants. Its on the left side of the tank, looking at it.
The main character is called Jack, my fish name :p
I try to make it look oceany with brightly colored plants and coral.

I like yours so far! The fish stand out from the gravel, hmm maybe add some shorter and taller plants so they aren't all one height. Maybe place the bridge in the middle, then where the bridge was put a larger Asian like Zen building? Just a thought :) I like your bubbles too! Also what about making an underwater rock garden, like pile small decorative rocks to mimic a Japanese rock garden?

BIOSHOCK THE BEST GAME EVER MADE AND WILL EVER BE MADE!!!!!!!! Haha talking about BIOSHOCK makes me super happy!!

Okay...:cool:

The piece is a wrecked plane, which is how the first game starts out. I don't really like rocks, so I have mostly the plants. Its on the left side of the tank, looking at it.
The main character is called Jack, my fish name :p
I try to make it look oceany with brightly colored plants and coral.

Got-cha...

I like yours so far! The fish stand out from the gravel, hmm maybe add some shorter and taller plants so they aren't all one height.

Oh, yeah, definitely -- we plan to add a TON more plants than what you see here, and stagger them so the back is kind of "built up" with tall plants and slowly declines to smaller ones, if I can pull it off...

Maybe place the bridge in the middle, then where the bridge was put a larger Asian like Zen building? Just a thought :)

Indeed; I had the bridge in the middle at one point, actually, but kind of "not straight" but it was decided that most "focal points" of a tank actually shouldn't be smack-dab in the middle and rather off-center a bit...thus, we moved it towards the left as you see. Also -- we were trying to emulate and copy THIS Petsmart "demo" tank for a Top Fin 55 gallon starter kit they sell, if not 100-percent:
pPETS-6704003dt.jpg

You can see where they placed this bridge kind of off to one of the corners, and didn't use it as a focal point -- but your suggestion is something to think about, especially given that we just bought THIS today to place next to one of the edges of the bridge to attempt to make it more "Asian" looking:
pPETS-8371162dt.jpg

I was thinking of placing this to the LEFT side of the bridge...what do you think?

I like your bubbles too! Also what about making an underwater rock garden, like pile small decorative rocks to mimic a Japanese rock garden?

The rock garden is definitely something we are considering -- or, based in no small part on some members' suggestions here to create some kind of "mock stream" flowing from under the bridge towards the "winding garden path" that comes from the Asian gazebo using blue or blue/green stones...

Your thoughts?

The rock garden is definitely something we are considering -- or, based in no small part on some members' suggestions here to create some kind of "mock stream" flowing from under the bridge towards the "winding garden path" that comes from the Asian gazebo using blue or blue/green stones...

Your thoughts?

The app won't display the second pic. But on my laptop I remember it being a bonsai tree? Totally add that!
And for the fake stream with blue, that sounds cool. I'd just be worried that when vacuuming gravel could get moved. But totally try it!

The app won't display the second pic. But on my laptop I remember it being a bonsai tree? Totally add that!
And for the fake stream with blue, that sounds cool. I'd just be worried that when vacuuming gravel could get moved. But totally try it!

Yes, it was a Bonsai tree...we actually purchased it yesterday and I put it in the tank today...not sure if I like it or not, as it's not really working the way I envisioned...

I'm going to try and get pictures up...

Back
Top Bottom