new 30gal but may have issue need opinions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55gallons

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello .

i just got a 30 gallon acrilic (sp?) tank for free and i pulled it out the box (yes its a brand new tank) and i looked and theres a crack just below the cross brace . should i be concerned it will grow - i filled it up and it didn't leak- maybe if i don't fill it all the way it will be ok- any ideas? i'll upload a pic here soon of the tank - its a shame this tank has a crack in it its a nice tank !!!

i hope i don't have to toss it .

MIKE.

It is spelled "acrylic"...not that it matters. So if I am understanding you correctly, the crack is at the top of the tank, roughly in the middle. You may try to repair it depending on how large of a crack it is. I know acrylic tanks can be repaired for scratches and such, though I am not sure of cracks. I already have one idea on how to repair it, depending on how large it is and wheter or not you are concerned with the cosmetics of the tank. You may be able to hide it though with my idea. I will wait to tell you what it is until you write back with the location and size of the crack for certain. It would be a shame to waste a tank like that...acrylic are generally more expensive than glass and can have better clarity.

bs6749 said:
I already have one idea on how to repair it, depending on how large it is and wheter or not you are concerned with the cosmetics of the tank.

I agree it can be repaired. I have a 180 gal that has a crack running from the top 2" into the front 3/8" across the seam. I think this was caused by running 2 400 watt MH lamps too close to the top. It is still the same after a year but the first month I checked it everyday. You could use it as a sump. Awaiting your photo.

PS, how about filling out your "myinfo".

Back
Top Bottom