New 36 Gallon Bowfront ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbooker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi

I was just given an new aquarium and stand and I'm trying to decide how I want to set it up. This is the tank I have...

Aqueon® 36 Gallon Deluxe Aquarium Kit | fish Aquariums | PetSmart

Filter was not working so I've already ordered a replacement.

I'd like to set up a planted tank, maybe a few schooling fish, but I'm not sure how this will work with such a deep aquarium. What are your thoughts?

That is a beautiful kind of tank, my favorite.

Have you had a fish tank previously?

What kind of substrate does it have? Or is it brand new?

A pair of angels, some schooling fish, and a few Cory cats or a smaller pleco would work fine. Have you looked on Aqadvisor for any potential stocking ideas? If not, I would recommend you check it out.

Angels prefer a taller tank, and this actually the setup I used to have, before I bought a 55g and moved all my fish. I had 2 angels, 6-8 harlequin rasboras, a clown pleco, and 5 Cory's. I was running an AC75 and an aqueon quietflow 30 (came with the tank as I bought it as a kit).

You could also ditch the angels and look into either Bolivian or German Blue Rams and some schooling fish. The Germans will be harder to keep though, in my personal experience.

Whichever fish you choose, make you research first to avoid any issues in your tank. Hope I gave you some ideas that were helpful.

Good luck and keep us updated on the tanks progress!

*Edit

Thinking back, I may have been running an AC50, as the AC75 was too wide to fit the tank.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Thought I'd post a couple of pictures to update:

2up4s5w.jpg

1zdlu04.jpg

I had the Java roots buried in my other tank, so I'm hoping it will do better here.

I'm not thrilled with the setup so far, but I wanted to get a few plants in and see how they did.

I'm currently running a Tetra EX 45 that I got a very good deal on. The other HOB filter is a small Aqueon from my Betta tank that I added to speed up cycling.

It came with some blue gravel that I didn't really like, so I picked up some black aquarium sand.

I'm definitely going to be getting a school of Cory's, and was thinking about some Barbs and maybe a Gourami.

Hi

Thanks for all the ideas so far!

I've been trying to post an update but they keep disappearing, hopefully this one stays.

The aquarium came with some blue gravel, which I replaced with black sand.

I'm going to be running two Tetra EX 45 filters since I got a very good deal on them. At the moment I have one of them running an another HOB from my cycled Betta tank, trying to speed up cycling.

I'd definitely like to add several Cory's and I do like the idea of Angelfish.

I'm also considering having a school of barbs and some type of Gourami.

I have a mix of plants in the tank at the moment, basically whatever was in stock at my local store.

Picture of my tank at the moment:

4q1wdk.jpg

I'm not thrilled with the look yet, still struggling to deal with the height of the tank. I'm thinking some type of driftwood might help take up some space, help fill in the upper part of the tank a bit.

Looking good so far. I agree, It is a bit hard to scape this particular tank due to the height. I bought mainly tall plants, such as vals. I wish I had a picture of the tank when I first set it up. Be sure to keep us updated on the progress!

Finally finished cycling my tank a while ago, and I added a home made slate structure a few weeks back. I've also added a few cherry barbs and panda corys, and will bring my numbers up to about 10 of each eventually. I'll post an updated picture when I get home.

2prseq0.jpg

Here is where I am so far:

Cave structure on left was made from slate tile. Cory's seem to love it. I have 5 Cherry Barbs and 4 Panda Corys right now, loving watching them. Since I added the Corys the Barbs seem to think they are corys too and are playing in the sand

First it's a nice looking tank. I'm curious about the slate it looks like the edges are sharp and can hurt the fish. If it isn't my apologies for the comment.

Thanks! I sanded down the edges fairly well before I siliconed it together and then went over it with a wire brush to take off anything else that I might have missed. I've still been keeping an eye on it just in case.

Back
Top Bottom