Hello Everyone I'm New :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RiverMango96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My name is Savannah and I just cleaned out my 36 gallon bowfront tank after losing my 2 goldfish to Ich.. I would love some advice on how to restart the tank. How long I should cycle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly you need to decide how soon you want to populate the tank do determine how you are going to cycle it

Ideally when time is plentiful you’d cycle the tank with no fish by ghost feeding or dosing ammonia. It’s the most controlled method of cycling and you don’t risk any fish.

If you want to populate the tank immediately, a fish-in cycle can be done relatively safe if you keep a close watch on water parameters and water changes. Just dont start off with a whole bunch of fish, start with a few and let things stabilize, then add more

As far as how long to cycle, there’s no answer for that other than “until it’s cycled”. Your growing a colony of beneficial bacteria that establish the nitrogen cycle in the tank, there’s a billion variables at play in their development. It can take a week, it can take 8 weeks, it may never cycle if conditions aren’t favourable!

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about what you are getting up to.

Are you planning a fish in or fishless cycle?

I have been doing research on cycling for about 3 hours now. I have a pretty good concept of it now I'm going to do a fishless cycling process by adding food, waiting it out, adding bacteria, waiting it out, test my Ammonia and Nitrates and then try adding some plants maybe??

Last edited by a moderator:
There is more to fishless cycling that what you say.

Add your bacteria on day 1. You need to add your food daily (as much as you feed a tank full of fish) and test daily until you arent seeing any ammonia or nitrite. That process will take a couple of months.

I dont like "ghost feeding" as you dont really know how much ammonia is going in. I think its better to dose ammonia to a calculated amount. Another good option is a cocktail shrimp as this will produce a steady supply of ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom