New 38 Gallon Fancy Goldfish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am curious why nitrates are no longer appearing in my tank.

I am so happy now that my tank has stayed completely cycled. I am no longer getting any nitrites even with the increased feeding and the new fish. I have increased feeding to twice a day with no nitrites appearing.

I tested my water today for nitrates but there are none now (there were some last week but I did a 50% water change a few days ago). I am wondering why nitrates are not appearing anymore, could it be because my plants are consuming all the nitrates??

I have a wisteria, amazon sword, and some java moss in the tank.
My nitrites and ammonia are still at 0. PH is 7.8. I have also added Flourish once a week to the tank for the plants which seem to be helping them do well. All the fish seem healthy except the one that has swim bladder problems once in a while.

I am glad your tank is staying stable!! I am sorry your having a few sb issues- this is where daily veggies & a quality sinking goldfish pellet will help if its food related. Unfortunately, goldies are prone to sb issues to to their genetics & breeding. Make sure you really shake & bang the nitrate bottles on a hard surface before testing for a full 2mins- they are quite finicky & the reagants can clump leading to inaccurate results. Just keep up with your weekly maintainence water changes to remove dissolved solids & dont worry about the nitrates. Its likely your plants are keeping them in check. :)

Thanks for your help. It is just the one fish that has the sb issue.. So far he recovers every time after a few hours but I am not sure how long he will live because of this issue.

I suspect it is could be a birth defect as he has always stayed near the top of the tank even when I first got him. I have learned to be more picky when selecting fish now, so lesson learned now.

Some people have found goldies with sb issues only do well on homemade gel foods to limit food related issues. Unfortunately, poor breeding practices greatly affect the quality & health of the goldies that are readily available in big chain stores. Purchasing fish directly from reputable breeders may be something you can consider in the future. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom