New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok thanks Paul. I appreciate all the help. This process can be very confusing when your not familiar with it. I have learned a lot through our conversations on here. I started on building my sump yesterday. I have the first stage completed and hope to have the refugium and return stages done later today. I have to get one more panel cut at lowes and then I can complete the sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes it can be confusing! This forum helped me out alot she I got started. Happy to return the favor and good luck on that sump! (y)

Yes it can be confusing! This forum helped me out alot she I got started. Happy to return the favor and good luck on that sump! (y)

Thank you Paul. I did get the sump completed and placed in the stand this past weekend. I wasn't that great at spreading the glue out but I kinda like having that thickness for extra strength. When I built my 10 gallon sump I ended up having a panel come loose because I didn't put enough glue on it trying to make it look nice.
I also put a industrial strength electrical strip (that has 9 plugs spread out on the strip) inside the cabinet for plugging in all of my equipment. I ordered my bulkheads, glass drill bits, filter sock holder and extra filter socks over the weekend. I am hoping to get those items in this week. Hopefully I can drill my tank this weekend coming up. I will post some pictures of my progress when I get home.

Thank you Paul. I did get the sump completed and placed in the stand this past weekend. I wasn't that great at spreading the glue out but I kinda like having that thickness for extra strength. When I built my 10 gallon sump I ended up having a panel come loose because I didn't put enough glue on it trying to make it look nice.
I also put a industrial strength electrical strip (that has 9 plugs spread out on the strip) inside the cabinet for plugging in all of my equipment. I ordered my bulkheads, glass drill bits, filter sock holder and extra filter socks over the weekend. I am hoping to get those items in this week. Hopefully I can drill my tank this weekend coming up. I will post some pictures of my progress when I get home.

Sounds like your on it! Can't wait to see it all come together. Looking toward to the pics.

When I built my 10 gallon sump I ended up having a panel come loose because I didn't put enough glue on it trying to make it look nice.

Can I ask a quick question? Are you using glass or acrylic for your sump or are you mixing the 2 (ie glass tank and acrylic baffles)?

Tagging along! It seems like you're well on your way to having a good setup :)

I'll also play devil's advocate and say that if I had the chance of choosing between a drilled tank or a HOB overflow again, I would go with the HOB. My HOB setup was way easier for me than my drilled tank has been. Just my $.02 :)

Can I ask a quick question? Are you using glass or acrylic for your sump or are you mixing the 2 (ie glass tank and acrylic baffles)?

Hi Ingy, I am using a standard 20 gallon long glass tank with plexiglass baffles.

Tagging along! It seems like you're well on your way to having a good setup :)

I'll also play devil's advocate and say that if I had the chance of choosing between a drilled tank or a HOB overflow again, I would go with the HOB. My HOB setup was way easier for me than my drilled tank has been. Just my $.02 :)

Yeah I know it's a lot more work with the drilled tank but I want to have it fail safe and make sure of not flooding the floors. I currently have HOB overflows on the two tanks I am transferring into the 40B. Those 2 tanks are in my office at work and since I can't be there 24/7 it's a risk I am taking. I have dosing pumps to keep the syphon going but as I experienced the other day, the dosing pump on one of the tanks just quit working. Luckily there was no power outage at the time. Not to mention being on the second floor. There is a retired General that rents the floor below us and I wouldn't want the tanks to flood his offices. The building management wouldn't be to happy either.

Ok I would like to get your thought on lighting for the 40B. I currently have several true lumen lights on m 29 gallon and I didn't want to transfer those over to the 40B. I would rather have one light fixture as appose to several.

Yeah I know it's a lot more work with the drilled tank but I want to have it fail safe and make sure of not flooding the floors. I currently have HOB overflows on the two tanks I am transferring into the 40B. Those 2 tanks are in my office at work and since I can't be there 24/7 it's a risk I am taking. I have dosing pumps to keep the syphon going but as I experienced the other day, the dosing pump on one of the tanks just quit working. Luckily there was no power outage at the time. Not to mention being on the second floor. There is a retired General that rents the floor below us and I wouldn't want the tanks to flood his offices. The building management wouldn't be to happy either.

That is completely understandable. Like I said though it sounds like you have a great plan and I'm looking forward to seeing how this build turns out. (y)

Ok I would like to get your thought on lighting for the 40B. I currently have several true lumen lights on m 29 gallon and I didn't want to transfer those over to the 40B. I would rather have one light fixture as appose to several.

Are you going with coral (you better be! LOL) or just fowlr?

Are you going with coral (you better be! LOL) or just fowlr?

No I'm definitely going with coral. I have some corals currently in my two tanks that I am transferring into this new setup. I would like to try some SPS in the future so I want to have enough light to accommodate those.

Ok here are a few pictures of my sump and electrical bar.
The first and second stages.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415660969.297998.jpg
The return stage.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415661022.652863.jpg
The electrical bar.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415661104.072478.jpg

The plastic grid piece still has to be glued into place. It's just sitting in the. Bottom right now. That piece will allow me to add additional media like Chemipure, etc.

Very nice. I thought about running that same power bar in my stand when I was first setting it up. Let me know how it works for you.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 via the Aquarium Advice app.

Very nice. I thought about running that same power bar in my stand when I was first setting it up. Let me know how it works for you.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 via the Aquarium Advice app.

I like it because the connections are spread out. I am planning on putting a timer on one connection that will have my skimmer attached to it so I can have the skimmer come on automatically a few times a week. I used this electrical bar in my old office at work and had all my equipment for my 20 gallon connected to it and it worked out great.

I will have a choice of water pumps that I already have on hand to use with this build:

Eihem universal 1262 - 310 gph
Eihem universal 1260 - 635 gph

I was thinking of using the 635 gph pump. Any thoughts!

Sump looks good! Like the power strip but why would you run a timer on your skimmer? Why no let it run nonstop? Also the light looks good, but not many specifics in the pics. Got a link to it? With the two pumps you have, you could probably get away with using either of them. I ended up going with a danner mag 3 which is 350 gph on my system which is virtually the same as yours will be. I could get away with more or less flow though Im sure. Depending on how high the water is being pumped you will loose gph as well.

Back
Top Bottom