new 55 gal. tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capnrod53

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a 55 gal. tank and can't make up my mind-fresh or salt. I've never done salt or marine and thinking about trying it. It's just the start up costs are so high compared to fresh water, more equipment to buy, different testing to do plus the same old ones. So if I could get some insight into choosing which way to go I would be so thankful.

Rod

all personal preference my friend. And dont fool yourself, freshwater can get pricey sometimes too. I prefer salt

Welcome to AA, go with salt, Ive been a freshy since I was young and there is no comparison with salt, trust me! Like thominil said, there are more fish and all are so much more colorful and with great personalities!

Hey, thanks guys. But I still don't know which way to go yet. I am on a set budget and that makes things more difficult. But again, thanks.
Rod

I think salt would definitely be more colorful and interesting. I would look into salt and see what things about it you like. That will determine the cost to a large extent. The type of salt tank you want will determine what kind of filters, lights and other equipment you will need. Which in turn will determine the cost. From what I have seen on here lighting is a big factor. And lighting is determined by what you want to keep in the saltwater tank. All comes down to lots and lots of research and personal preference. Freshwater can be the same way. If you want to go planted or not or different kinds of fish require different water conditions. Again personal preference. Dont let someone else tell you what you like. Maybe look around the Gallery and see if something catches your eye and research that particular type of tank or ask that user about their tank. Follow some of the build threads on this site. Alot of them quote costs as they go. Sorry to ramble but in the end it really is just up to what you like.

new 55g

Yeah, thanks. Just wondering if I went with LR and maybe LS, how much would I need. I have a Jebo canister, which I probably wouldn't need after things are set up. One question, if I went with a sump what happens when the electric goes off, does it overflow or what? Well I said one ? but what else would I need?

Welcome to AA!

I agree with Spoonman entirely! I prefer saltwater as well but don't have the budget right now as a graduate student for the type of setup that I would like. I would need some super duper lighting and other gadgets that are out of my brudget. All in good time though.

I currently have three freshwater tanks, that eat all of my monies. I am defending in October and hopefully my next career move will allow me to really invest in a nice saltware project again.

If you are interested in colour and personality in freshwater, you might consider keeping discus, even though they can be pricey, or angelfish or other cichlids. There are also some really beautiful freshwater fish to consider.
Sooooo many fish, soooooo few tanks o_O!

Welcome to AA! :)

I'm going to very respectfully disagree with some of the others... either can be very interesting, colorful, and beautiful. I love watching our FW tanks as much as I do our reef. They are different, but on a tight budget I'd opt for FW. You can do a larger, planted display with rarer fish as compared to the same for SW. It is about personal preference and personal choice though. I wish you luck with whatever you choose!

A properly setup and plumbed sump will not over flow with a power outage.

I am a fresh water guy myself, fish can have just as much personality either or...what about native fish...legallities aside it pretty cool to learn about something that lives in the lakes and rivers around you

new 55g

Thanks for all the info. I will let you know as soon as I know which way I will be going. But for now I still have work to do-put new plastic on tank and build a stand-before I can add fish of much of anything else.
rod

Well, Rod... chop chop. I can't set up another tank yet so I'm living vicariously through you! :)

new 55g

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that it might be awhile before I get started on my 55g. A couple of weeks ago I think I might have been biten by a spider just under the left knee cap. But one good thing is I have you all to talk to and get advice from. Oh yeah, I beieve I will stick with FW for now since I have FW fish and I can't really afford to run two tanks at this time. I will eventually get to SW, it just will take a little longer than expected. Going to try to start on my stand sometime next week. There will be pics as I go along. Thank everybody and have a great Sunday.
Rod

Hey guys, I'm still here. I had a problem with an mrsa infection and just now got over it. Should be starting on the 55 gal soon. When I get started I should be able to post some pics, but I still have to buy the wood for the stand, maybe one day this week. Wish me luck.
Rod

Welcome to AA. good idea to stick with fw. you have a lot of options in a 55 gallon.

Sorry bout the infection. Glad to hear that you are ok now. Back to work now you slacker!!!! LOL

Well I know I am more than a little slow, I had a church association to do, since I am the clerk and that slowed me down. But now the work is in progress and I will have some pics for all of you. I'll get them uploading as soon as I can, just don't give up on me. It will get there.
Rod

Welcome! It is up to the look you want. Salt water cool and is a lot of fun and colors. Freshwater is also cool now with all the different shrimp and plants. Google Takashi Amano and see an extreme fw set up.

Well guys, I am to the staining and sealing stage on the stand only. I am going to try and get it done before it turns too cold. I have been trying to put some pics on here but have not been able too. They are in my album.
Rod

Back
Top Bottom