New 55g tank cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All. Next week I'll be setting up a 55g tank. I'm going to use driftwood, decorations and media from my current 55g tank. Will I still need to use ammonia? I'm hoping it won't take long to get it cycled as I have to many fish in my tank and want to get them moved as soon as possible, but I sure don't want to hurt any of them. I don't want to add plants until the tank is cycled.

Hi All. Next week I'll be setting up a 55g tank. I'm going to use driftwood, decorations and media from my current 55g tank. Will I still need to use ammonia? I'm hoping it won't take long to get it cycled as I have to many fish in my tank and want to get them moved as soon as possible, but I sure don't want to hurt any of them. I don't want to add plants until the tank is cycled.

If you're using enough media from your current tank then it could be safe to add some fish (not too many) and then keep testing the water daily for a week, do water changes if anything spikes and if not then continue to add fish slowly and test until the fish you want are all transfered.

You can also add the media and then add ammonia and test (essentially a fishless cycle) to ensure the tank is cycled before you add fish. It's up to you how you want to proceed.

You can add plants anytime.

Good luck. Congrats on the additional tank!

Thats what I was thinking as far as the media. I'll be taking the filter pads out of two HOB filters. They have been in there for several weeks so are well used (pretty black). I haven't rinsed them so the bacteria would build up to use them in the new tank. Thanks for your help.

I do this for hospital tanks. It's basically an instant cycle, as long as it's stocked slowly.

Back
Top Bottom