new 60 gallon need HELP!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JTAM963 - Once your tank is cycled you might be fine for a month or two, possibly longer. In the near future your tankwill not be able to house all the fish you currently have it stocked with. From my count you have 8 fish, and one that can hit +14 inches. Jags are typically aggressive fish and in a tank that size he as a very good chance of killing the rest of your fish. If you don't plan on upgrading to a larger tank just to house your Jag I would return him and just keep the Convicts, Firemouths, SDs, and Pleco. What are the dimensions of your tank and what type of filtration do you have running? Keep a close eye on your water paramenters are other mentioned to make sure you have your tank properly cycled. Also skip out on the clown knife, if you had a large tank possibly a 8Lftx3ftWx2H a knife would be fine with other large cichlids. I wouldn't add any other fish since your tank is not cycled yet and when your 7 (minus the pleco, depending on what type you have) fish are full grown your tank will be over stocked. Since you work at Petsmark you will be able to get good deals on equipment, food, etc.

Yeah I know...i've been looking on craigs list..someone offered me a 75gal oak tank stand hood for 275..thats a little more then i can afford right now....I want a bigger tank like 75 or 100 gallon to house the jag when full grown and maybe some other aggressive cichlids...the firemouths and convicts can no way outgrow my tank now..and the silver dollars either...of course the pleco will...but they can outgrow ANYTHING haha...

Just to let you know, if you're going to get the python, when I got mine, it wasn't too much more expensive to get the 50 foot instead of the 25 foot. It's nice to have a little extra room to it. if it's stretched tight it's harder to get it down into the gravel everywhere in the tank. Also, it's good to have the flexability with the length. When I first got mine, a 25 foot might have been enough, but I got the 50 foot and I'm glad I did.

I love API test kits, they've never failed me, sometimes it possible to get " lemons " from the LFS, these things happens, sometimes theres just no preventing it or predicting it

Whats a lemon? Well I've been doing 30% water changes past two days..nitrites have gone done and still no ammonia

A lemon is a generic term for buying something brand new that doesn't work.

Looks like you've got things under control, good for you. Keep it up until your cycle finishes and things will be good to go.

Neilan what size tank does the Jaguar Cichlid need when full grown?? Would a 75 work...with another aggresive cichlid?

Anyone else have an idea of what kind of aggressive cichlids I could keep with a Jaguar in a 75 plus gallon that I'm looking to buy probably around summertime

JTAM963 said:
Yeah I know...i've been looking on craigs list..someone offered me a 75gal oak tank stand hood for 275..thats a little more then i can afford right now....I want a bigger tank like 75 or 100 gallon to house the jag when full grown and maybe some other aggressive cichlids...the firemouths and convicts can no way outgrow my tank now..and the silver dollars either...of course the pleco will...but they can outgrow ANYTHING haha...

Keep an eye out, you can get large tanks with stand for about that price.

Your jag might need an 8ft tank with your other fish, and maybe it might not harass them to death. Jags have a strong tendency to be very aggressive. If you kept Jag in a 4ft and possibly at 6ft tank, anything else in there will probably end up dead or eaten. There is a possibility of keeping a pleco with him in a 75gal.

Jags are pretty aggressive in my experience. I have seen them attack Oscars twice their size, go after Jack Dempseys and tear apart silk plants in fits of fury.

I work at a pet store and a fellow worker might sell me a 125 gallon...if so i'll wait to set it up till maybe summer or so...the jag is only about an inch right now so...he's good...but I was thinking the Jag could go in there and a couple others..What else would be cool with him? I would like some BIG cool fish

JTAM963 said:
I work at a pet store and a fellow worker might sell me a 125 gallon...if so i'll wait to set it up till maybe summer or so...the jag is only about an inch right now so...he's good...but I was thinking the Jag could go in there and a couple others..What else would be cool with him? I would like some BIG cool fish

You have very slim chances of keeping the Jag with any other cichlids. You might be able to house him with 3-4 tinfoil barbs and maybe a large ornate bircher. I had a 12-13inch midas (who are typically not as aggressive as Jags kill my 10-11inch flowerhorn in a tank twice the size. I would strongly advise against putting a nother cichlid in the tank. Also you jag might not have enough room to turn in the tank if he gets very large. Just image if you live in a world where you could turn and have maybe a couple inches before you hit a wall, not very comfortable for you, and not for the jag.

I think a 125 gallon will be plenty big for a full grown jag and maybe a pleco or so...Come on now...

JTAM963

Please re-read my last post it mentions not keeping other cichlids with the jag in a 125, and states you maybe able to him with 3 or so tinfoil barbs or large bircher.

You have been give some advice here from different members, its up to you to decide what you want to do. But don't complain if you decide to go against the advice and you end up with some casulties.

If you want some more info see the link below.
http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/freshwater/cichlids/jaguar.html

Someone just offered me a 125 gallon tank only for 100 dollars? I think good deal then I can save some $$ and buy a nice stand or build one and buy a hood..whats top filter for this size tank? Since it will probably house my Manguense Cichlid if he lives till full grown

JTAM -
Thats a decent deal, got my 75 for $100, had a stand for it already. Does it come with the glass top or lights?

Your work at petsmart right? Since you want to save on $ get 2 of the AquaClear 110s or 2 of the Emperor 400s for now (you should be able to get both for under $80). Once your Jag gets bigger get a third AC110 or Emp400, or better yet get an Rena XP3. You can probably build a nice stand for around $100 if you have the basic tools.

Yeah i'm probably going to wait at least a month or two to get a 75/125 from craigslist...Then build a stand with some 2x4s or whatever..haha...but yea my tank now is struggling...down to one firemouth..manguense..convict..and two rams

I'm late to the party here, but don't clown kni[fv]es grow to over 36 inches in aquariums (48 in the wild)?
Seems like somewhere around a 600G tank would be needed for it's ultimate size, though that doesn't have any bearing on the current situation with it dying.

well yeah the clown knife died...due to bad water...now my water seems okay..yet lost a firemouth yesterday night...and now i added pleco from my moms tank..big mistake..was fighting with one in the tank..so now going to move it back

Back
Top Bottom