New 75 gallon mbuna tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TampaTank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I just signed up a new account and this is my first post. I have looked on here for advice in the past and I appreciate everyone's help.

My roommates and I have just set up a 75 gallon tank and we plan to only add mbuna's (maybe a Synodontis catfish and a plecostomus). I have had a cichlid tank in the past and have done my research. We have a TON of rock and our tap water comes at a high PH (right now tank water PH is at 8.0). We would like to host several different kind of mbunas but most say to only house 3-4 different species with 1 male and multiple females.

My question is has anyone had success hosting several different mbuna species in a 75 gallon tank? Has anyone had success hosting several different color zebras (cobalt blue, albino etc.) in one tank together? Which species should absolutely not be kept together?

Any help/advice from past tank experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TampaTank said:
Hi all,

I just signed up a new account and this is my first post. I have looked on here for advice in the past and I appreciate everyone's help.

My roommates and I have just set up a 75 gallon tank and we plan to only add mbuna's (maybe a Synodontis catfish and a plecostomus). I have had a cichlid tank in the past and have done my research. We have a TON of rock and our tap water comes at a high PH (right now tank water PH is at 8.0). We would like to host several different kind of mbunas but most say to only house 3-4 different species with 1 male and multiple females.

My question is has anyone had success hosting several different mbuna species in a 75 gallon tank? Has anyone had success hosting several different color zebras (cobalt blue, albino etc.) in one tank together? Which species should absolutely not be kept together?

Any help/advice from past tank experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:welcome: to AA!
You don't have to do only 3-4 a lot of people do mixed mbuna tanks. For a 75g I would try and stick with fish that are under 5 maybe 6", stock 13-18 mbunas. What you'll need to do is figure out what you want and its aggression level and build around it. Afra cobue are one of my favs and it looks like this

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120731_224318.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120731_224318.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 96
  • ForumRunner_20120731_224354.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120731_224354.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 115
Here is my 55 gallon had out for a yr a lil aggressive but not really if I keep them well fed. This pic was from my 95 but they are all in a 55 now there is 13 of em the largest being 6 inches.

ForumRunner_20120801_053920.jpg

Back
Top Bottom