New 75G setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just keep asking questions, the people here really know what they're talking about.. and don't worry, i started off my cycle with about 20 fish and they ammonia never went down until half of them had died :cry: the only that survived were a couple of zebra danios that i gave to my brother and 2 of my cory catfish are from my cycle.. and amazingly my pleco made it through and is thriving!!!

Will do. Just seems like so much to do to keep a tank going! But Ill catch on. The Ciclid we had before must have been a beast cause he lived through a lot of my ignorance when it came to having a tank. This time it gets done right. :)

Got my Avatar up and running. Had to shrink it a bit but it seems to be fine. Still cracks me up. :lol:

i like your avatar... when it comes down to it, its not really that hard to maintain... regular water changes and testing is all you really need to do to make sure everything is a ok. General maintenance of course like cleaning out the filter. With a planted tank it can get tough because the plant pieces will clog up the filter.. i have to clean out my filter every week.

good luck and have fun.

The hardest part is the initial setup and cycle. Once its done, you really don't have alot to worry about. That is unless there is a disease outbreak in the tank. We just do a water change weekly and filter maintenance monthly (they don't get all gunky). The filter maintenance takes about 10 minutes. Then once every few months we do extensive filter maintenance. That's the cleaning of the tubes and all that gunk. So it's not that bad. :D

Don't rule out Cichlids for future tankmates. :D They are alot of fun and beautiful.

oh see i have HOB filter and i have to clean it out weekly to.. until i invest in a canister filter.. :twisted:

Mine is HOB as well. I didnt even look into canister. But again on the advice of the LFS guy. Can wait to get well versed here and go school him. :lol: :twisted:

yeah, the LFS people won't listen, they still think they know eveyrthing.. although one guy at this one store is actually pretty knowledgeable and i referred him to htis website.

A canister would be much better than a hob for a 75 gal tank. But it's all just a matter of choice. Some like hobs more than canisters.

It is normally cheaper to buy online than at the lfs for equipment. www.bigalsonline.com is a great place to shop around with. They price match all online stores minus 5%. So they are always cheaper I guess. :D

AshleyNicole, why rainbow shark and not redtail shark? They are both equally aggressive and you can only have one in a tank. I think the rainbow sharks get bigger than redtail sharks. Is that why you recommend them instead? Just curious, since I have the redtail.

I kinda like the HOB but what do I know Im a relative noob. :D

netwireless said:
AshleyNicole, why rainbow shark and not redtail shark? They are both equally aggressive and you can only have one in a tank. I think the rainbow sharks get bigger than redtail sharks. Is that why you recommend them instead? Just curious, since I have the redtail.

while the redtail sharks stay a bit smaller i have been told that they are a bit more aggressive than the larger rainbow shark. I also think the rainbow sharks are more colorful because instead of just having a red tail, they have all read finns. Either one is a good choice, i was just stating my personal preference. Also you can get albino rainbows that are white with red finns.

Looks like Im hitting the cloudy bacteria bloom water phase. Seems Ive read a lot of new tanks do this. Did a 20% change today. Didnt make it to the LFS for the test kit. I need to get there tho I know.

Back
Top Bottom