New 90 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianc_20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there..i'm new to fishkeeping and would like to get some advise about stocking my planted 90 gal tank....

Im planning to stock it as follows:

1 redtail shark
2 bumblebee gobies
5 longfinned danios
2 khuli loaches
5 penguin tetras
10 neon tetras
2 ram cichild
& 1 angel

Will it be overstocked???
Are those fish compatible???

Looks fine except I'm not sure about the gobies. My understanding of gobies is they are a brackish water species. With the fish you have listed at those numbers you would not be overstocked in a 90ga. with that size tank you could go with a school of say 6 rainbow fish (there are different types) but if you go that route try to get more females than males. And you could get a pair of angels

You could do Cardinal Tetras instead of the Neons. That would be better because Cardinals look nicer and are less likely to be eaten by the Angels. You should add 1 more Danio 1 more Penguin Tetra. If I were you I would add a Bristlenose Pleco and 3 Angels.
You could do this
10 Cardinal Tetras
6 Danios
6 Penguin Tetra
2 Angel Fish
2 Rams
1 Red Tail Shark
5 Khuli Loaches
Also you could add some catfish maybe 6 Cories.

Adding three angels can cause problems. Not always but when you add more than 2 you can have serious aggression issues once they reach breeding age, which is about 8 months. When you want to go with multiple angels a school of over 6 is needed to keep aggression against weaker angels to a minimum. I have 10 veils angels in a 220gal. Angels are semi-aggressive and bicker, even mated pairs test each other and bicker. They are cichlids and that is the nature of the beast.

Looks fine except I'm not sure about the gobies. My understanding of gobies is they are a brackish water species.

That's what i though too, until i found them in a new store i went to..they were thriving in normal water.. :) ...and now they are actually doing well in my already set up 20 gallon tank along with my male guppies and khuli loaches.. :)

anyway, will consider adding 1 more angel... Thnx!!!

Rivercats said:
Adding three angels can cause problems. Not always but when you add more than 2 you can have serious aggression issues once they reach breeding age, which is about 8 months. When you want to go with multiple angels a school of over 6 is needed to keep aggression against weaker angels to a minimum. I have 10 veils angels in a 220gal. Angels are semi-aggressive and bicker, even mated pairs test each other and bicker. They are cichlids and that is the nature of the beast.

Would 2 work? There is space right??

You could do Cardinal Tetras instead of the Neons. That would be better because Cardinals look nicer and are less likely to be eaten by the Angels. You should add 1 more Danio 1 more Penguin Tetra. If I were you I would add a Bristlenose Pleco and 3 Angels.
You could do this
10 Cardinal Tetras
6 Danios
6 Penguin Tetra
3 Angel Fish
2 Rams
1 Red Tail Shark
5 Khuli Loaches
Also you could add some catfish maybe 6 Cories.

yeah i think i read somewhere that the angels may eat the smaller fish... Will consider going for the Cardinal tetras!! Thanks!!(y)

ianc_20 said:
yeah i think i read somewhere that the angels may eat the smaller fish... Will consider going for the Cardinal tetras!! Thanks!!(y)

My angel is very small and eats feeder guppies. I put one in for my other fish and to my surprise the Angel ate it! So I'm sure a full grown Angel would eat a Neon.

To be on the safe side, i better go with one only yeah???

2 angels will work just fine. In a 150 likes your if you planted heavier and used your scape to break up the line of sight you could add 6 angels. Amazon Sword plants are great for this use, they are nutrient substrate hogs but you can add root tab fertilizers. Plus Angels love to use Sword leaves to spawn on. In a 150 the Amazon Swords could get big and add a large visual impact on your scape, and they do well on medium light. Heck I've seen them grow in tanks with low light. If they get too big you just cut off leaves at the base to keep them in the size range you like. If you let them go they can fill out into show stoppers.

As for the plants....

I'm going for

aponogeton ulvaceus
java fern
java moss planted on a 90cm driftwood
Vallisneria spiralis - like plant..(collected from nearby river)
grass-like plant (also collected from nearby river)
another plant collected from nearby river( looks a bit like the hornwort but with larger but shorter leaves)
hornwort
some techweed & duckweed also...

Good choice???

Sounds good get a Marimo Moss Ball I think they look cool and they're great low light plants.

ok cool...can't wait to get my tank up and running...just a couple more days to wait until it dries and settles....

Just a word of caution, collected plants can have all kinds of nasty hitch hikers, especially things like hydra's. I would look into a good sterilizing dip before adding them to a tank. You'll have to reasearch what would be a good dip or solution to use. And collected plants often don't do well in a tank because the enviornment they are collected from is so much different than an aquarium. I'm not saying don't try them, do, just be open minded as to how they might do. Duckweek is a great nutrient absorber for a new tank, just keep it thinned so as not to block out all light from other plants below. Good luck sounds like you have a good plan. Be sure to post pic's once your up and running.

Yeah sure thing...I might start posting some pics by sunday...(hope so)
Just one more thing...will the tank cycle correctly if i put the plants in???

Yes it will. Plants like fish release organics (decaying leaves) which will become part of the cycling process. Then the plants will absorb nutrients from the water and will help with the cycling of your tank.

That's what i though too, until i found them in a new store i went to..they were thriving in normal water.. :) ...and now they are actually doing well in my already set up 20 gallon tank along with my male guppies and khuli loaches.. :)

anyway, will consider adding 1 more angel... Thnx!!!

Young gobies can handle fresh water for a while but will, depending on the species of course, almost always require brackish conditions or wil have very short life spans.

here's my 90 gal tank drying....more pics soon.... :)

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 58
Young gobies can handle fresh water for a while but will, depending on the species of course, almost always require brackish conditions or wil have very short life spans.

Incorrect. The bumblebee goby can be in brackish water but can do quite well in freshwater their whole life.

OK guys...thats what the final product should look like....(still some moving around of certain plants left tho to find a good balance ;))

Attachments

• DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0071.jpg
    DSC_0071.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0072.jpg
    DSC_0072.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0074.jpg
    DSC_0074.jpg