New and need ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Awesomefazekas

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my tank for 2 months and i have a dwarf gourami and 3 neon tetras and i need stocking ideas, design ideas, and I want to get a new filter so ideas for the too

What type of filter do you currently have? How is it decorated? Can you post a picture so we can see what you're working with?

I would start with adding more neons, 5-7 more.

I have a cruddy 15 dollar one i forgot the name

Attachments

• image-4171165066.jpg
    image-4171165066.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 60
For a 20 gallon long, I would recommend an Aquaclear 50 (200 gph). It is easy to customize, and you can simply rinse the sponge and ceramic media in tank water over and over. You don't have to replace the sponge until it falls apart (this takes many years). Never replace the ceramic media, just continue to rinse it.

Since you are looking to change filtration, I would hold off on any new additions. When you get your new filter, run it along with your old filter on your tank for a couple of weeks. Then take your old filter off of the tank (unless you want to run both, which is totally fine!) and you should be golden, provided your tank was cycled to begin with.

After that, let's think about stocking... I would add 5-7 more neons. They are more interesting to observe in larger groups. Then, you could look at some bottom dwellers like kuhli loaches, panda corydoras (or pygmaeus, habrosus, hastatus, but these are harder to find), *maybe* one bristlenose pleco. If you aren't that in to loaches or catfish, a group of amano shrimp would be cool. They are larger and much more active (and thus, visible) than a lot of other shrimp.

One bristlenose is fine in a 20 gallon tank. I'd choose that or the corydoras or the loaches, not all of them.

Angelfish breeding tanks are quite often 20 gallon high tanks. I would personally do a 29 gallon for a pair just to give them some space, but sometime during my last hiatus from the site, it came into fashion that one single scalare needs a 30 gallon tank. It doesn't. It's a moot point, however, as the tank in question is only 12 inches tall and is thus unsuitable for angelfish.

Last edited:
Idk I'm trying to make it look full and lush so if anyone could tell me if live or fake works better with that it would be great

And does anyone have a DIY idea on driftwood because i don't want to spend 50 bucks on a price of driftwood 6 inches long... And advice on rocks i live on a beach and I want to know if i can just boil them or if I have to do some cleaning process

And does anyone have a DIY idea on driftwood because i don't want to spend 50 bucks on a price of driftwood 6 inches long... And advice on rocks i live on a beach and I want to know if i can just boil them or if I have to do some cleaning process
Driftwood: try the beach. Get a nice piece, and boil it for 10 minutes. The soak it for a week until all the tannins are out. Make sure it's a hardwood.
Rocks: boil for 5 minutes. You can never be too safe with adding things from the outside world to your tank.

I recommend live plants, because I've never done a tank without them. But they can get a bit more costly with lighting, CO2 setups, and fertilizer. Also a dirted substrate specifically for growing plants is recommended. In the end you'll be happy you took the live plant route though, if you do.

Sorry in new at this hobby. I have alot of questions. And what exactly is a RCS

Back
Top Bottom