New Aquarium feeding problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alankevis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, I'm very new in this department. I just recently set up a 90 gallons aquarium, everything is tested (water condition is great) with 1 large filter and 1 powerhead. A heater and 2 bubblers on two ends.

Current in the tank are: 3 x Angel Fish, 1 x Silvertipped Shark, 1 x Pleco, 2 x Tiger barbs and 1 x Eclipse Catfish.

They seem to live happy together. However, I'm sure you notice why I only have 2 Tiger barbs in there. Well 5 x Tiger barbs when first introduced to the tank (2 days ago) However, this morning, there were only 2 left. A day before, I left the light on all night. However, last night I turned the light off (complete darkness)
I'm thinking my catfish ate those 3 tiger barbs. The catfish is a veteran and he's 6" at this moment while the new fishes are quite small.

Is there a way that I can prevent this to further happen? (I'm planning to get some tiger barbs to replace those missing)

:welcome: to the forum!

If they are small enough to fit into the catfish's mouth and they are totally missing, that is probably what happened. Which, if they were eaten, r u sure you want to buy more? The only way to prevent this is to buy fish large enough to not fit in other of your fish's mouths. Feeding your fish more may help, but its still bound to happen at some point. How much do you feed your fish daily? every other day?

Every other day is right, I don't want to overfed them. But the catfish never eats anything in daylight which is what I'm afraid of.

I'm thinking leaving the light on all night and turn it of in the daylight. Would that be too much light?

You only want the lights on for your viewing pleasure. Any excess light will create algae. Whenever you are home the most keep them on, when you are not home turn them off, and turn them off at night. Your catfish will eating anything if it fits in it mouth. Do not waste your money on more small fish. Just because you don't see it eat, dosent mean its starving. They find leftovers on the floor of the tank, and don't need much to survive. Usually the best way to feed any cat fish is in the dark. At night (after the lights are off for a bit) throw in a couple sinking pellets and that will be plenty. Instead of barbs, maybe a school of Congo tetras, or even some rainbow fish would work. They are bigger, and won't be eaten to easily.

You only want the lights on for your viewing pleasure. Any excess light will create algae. Whenever you are home the most keep them on, when you are not home turn them off, and turn them off at night. Your catfish will eating anything if it fits in it mouth. Do not waste your money on more small fish. Just because you don't see it eat, dosent mean its starving. They find leftovers on the floor of the tank, and don't need much to survive. Usually the best way to feed any cat fish is in the dark. At night (after the lights are off for a bit) throw in a couple sinking pellets and that will be plenty. Instead of barbs, maybe a school of Congo tetras, or even some rainbow fish would work. They are bigger, and won't be eaten to easily.

So if I feed them like that, they wont be likely to eat other barbs? He's pretty big, I doubt I can get any big fishes in my local pet stores.

Even if you feed them they still could decide to eat the barbs if they find them. If you want to keep the catfish then you'll need to adjust your stocking accordingly.

So if I feed them like that, they wont be likely to eat other barbs? He's pretty big, I doubt I can get any big fishes in my local pet stores.

No, that won't stop him form eating other fish. It might help a little, but if he feels like it he will do it again. I was just giving you some alive of feeding methods. Maybe finding some full grown barbs?

I like my tank with small little creatures. I ended up giving the catfish away. All the other fishes seem very happy after his leave haha

Back
Top Bottom