new aquarium setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magdelena_69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, so being the aquarium novice, I am, and only having been a betta junkie (ie nothing needed but a bowl and conditioned water), what exactly do you need to set one up (filters lights blaa blaa blaa)? And what are some dependable brands? And what's this about cycling water? Yeah I'm a dummy, but I'm depending on you guys to break me in :wink: hehe.
This is going to be for 1 male betta and 3 neon tetras with silk plants in a 10 gallon tank if that helps any.
*The dummy*
*I mean nita*

http://fins.actwin.com/fish/aquariafaq.html

go there and clip on my first aquarium, it will help u out alot, it did for me. Aquaclears are reliable power filters, Eheims are the best canisters, Tronics are pretty good heaters, just below Ebo JAger Heaters. Lights depends on if u want live plants or just fish. If just fish then nothing really too special to buy. I generally stick to the Hagen brand cuz of good prices and good quality stuff. But some other things are good too. cycling is explained in that site too. So ssift through it and any other questions id be happy to help.. Now serving number 57.. lol enjoy

The article that fishfreek wrote concerning fishless cycling is excellent:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=101&highlight=cycle+water

Since the plants are silk, the basic light that comes with your tank is fine. It is just a personal viewing preference.

What size tank are you looking to buy? If it is only for the Betta and 3 neons you consider a "kit" from someone like Topfin that includes the heater, filter and all (except Gravel). This is fine for your purposes and can be a big money saver.

What size tank did you have in mind? I'd recommend at least a 10 gallon. My recommendations are as follows. Read, in the articles link on the home page, the article on the nitrogen cycle. Make sure you have a good understanding of it as it is very important. Then I would go with a glass 10g tank, a Visi Therm 50-75w heater, a Penguin Bio Wheel Mini filter, and whatever fluorescent lighting came with the tank. Usually one 15 watt bulb. I don't like the incandescent fixtures as they can overheat your tank and the bulbs don't seem to last very long. Bettas don't like a lot of current so I would not add airstones or go with a larger filter. Neons, although you can go with three and be OK, would do better in a larger group IMO. I'd put in 6 of them. You'll have room for 3 cory cats or 3 otocinclus cats also. Either of these will do fine with the betta and the neons. There are other brands of heaters and filters that will do a fine job...the ones mentioned are just my preference. We'll be happy to try to help you set it up so please don't hesitate to ask anything you're not sure about.
Logan J

HI
MY 10 GAL IS THE FIRST TANK I HAVE HAD IN 1O YEARS. AFTER I WAS 8 MONTHS PREGNANT AND MY 20 GALLON TANK AND TABLE COLLAPSED IN MY LIVING ROOM FLOOR I SHYED AWAY FROM THEM. BUT LIKE YOU, I TOO, HAVE BEEN A BETTA JUNKIE FOR OVER A YEAR NOW. I HAVE TWO. ONE RED AND ONE BLUE. BEAUTIFUL LONG FINS. I THINK BOTH ARE MALES. HAVE THEM IN SEPARATE BOWLS ON MY KITCHEN BAR.

SO BACK TO MY STORY. I GOT A WILD HAIR AND WENT TO PETSMART. BOUGHT THE 'TOP FIN' BRAND STARTER KIT. ALL I HAD TO ADD WAS A BUBBLE WANT (OPTIONAL) AND GRAVEL AND FISH.

I LOST A FEW FISH IN THE BEGINNING....I HAVE NO IDEA WHY. BUT NOW IT SEEMS TO BE DOING FIND. HAD IT ABOUT 2 WEEKS NOW. ITS VERY CLEAR. REALLY CLEAR. HAVE NOT LOST ANY FISH LATELY.

I HAVE 4 GOURAMIS, 5 ZEBRAS, 1 MOLLY, AND 1 ALGAE EATER. HAVE A COUPLE OF STATUES AND SOME PLASTIC 'GREENERY'

I NOTICE THAT PETSMART CARRIES A LOT OF 'TOP FIN' BRAND STUFF THAT LOOKS REAL GOOD. ALSO WARDLEY. I HAVE A PH AND AMMONIA TEST KIT.

IF I KEEP DOING THIS GOOD I MIGHT MOVE UP TO A 30 GALLON. I WANNA GET SOME CICHLIDS.

WRITE BACK.
LPN IN MACON, GA :roll:

I like the Marineland power filters. I have 2 Penguin 125's and an Emperor 280 that have been basically maintenance free and running GREAT for about 3 years now if I recall correctly. I recently purchased another Emperor 280 for my new 30 gallon, and I also picked up 2 of the eclipse 3 tanks for Betta's. The Penguin and Emperor are VERY quiet filters. The only time I hear the Emperor is when I block the water flow for feedings. They also seem to make the tank cycle quickly. I was able to cycle a new 55 gallon in about a week and a half with no great spikes in ammonia or anything.

A 10 gallon tank?? Okay. I like the Penguin Filters (Emperor)... I lost the top to it, so the name is kinda not known :oops: - These filters are great, and the bio wheel that come along with them only get better with age (literally). To me having a betta in this set up isn't advisable (just my opinion) and here's why: Betta are ill tempered and though they are only supposed to attack those of their own kind, they will pester others. This is especially true (in my case) when a betta has been kept alone for a while. Also as logan mentioned bettas do not like current, especially if it disturbed the top, they have book lungs (if thats what one calls it), they breath air from outside, going to the surface, then come back down. If the surface is shaking because of the spill from a filter the betta will start to suffocate. Its great for the neons, since they breath under water, and also get the benefit of filtered water.

As for brands, like I said earlier Penguin is GREAT, I will always trust them as a power filter. As for a heater, thus far I love marineland. I once had Topfin, until a horrible night occured. The stupid thing broke.. and my roomates love the AC temp at about 60. The tank went from 79 to 60 degrees in a short time (because of the TopFin heater breaking) during the night, and it near killed my poor fish. I have also read stories and had a friend who's topfin heater just kept on heating away till it fried the fish to death. *** Remeber that you will sometimes have to clean out the filter machine themselves, aside from occasionally replacing the filter media*** You understand when you get the power filter.

As for gravel, since your plant will be artificial, make sure you rinse it well, especially if the gravel is colored, the dye may be harmful, as one of the members mentioned in this site.

As for lights the one that comes with your tank would be fine, because of your artificial plant(s). There is one thing to remember... do not leave your tank light on indefinately, fish do need to "sleep", and will become sickly if they are under constant light. I made this mistake when I first got my ten gallon. If you really don't want to worry about this... you can purchase a timer from Petsmart, and maybe other LFS (Local Fishing Store), and just preset it for anything equal or below 12 hours. It costs about 9 bucks to the best of my knowledge.

chemicals are needed as always, dechlorinator, etc, you can find the basic sets in any pet store, brand thus far have not mattered much to me, they have all worked thus far without a hitch.

Okay this may sound nuts but when buying a thermometer, get one that does have the suction cup "snap" onto the device. Get one that is actually attached to the thing, my fish sometimes play with it, and accidently "snap" it off. Its a pain to get it back on. When I say "snap" I don't mean the suction cup coming off the tank, I mean the actual thermometer falling off the suction cup, while the suction cup is still attached to the tank wall.

Now that you'll have more fish, read up about feeding the type of fish you get, or just ask the LFS people. The reason for this is that over-feeding is common, and it causes too much yuckness in the water, causing the bad algae to show up and make life hell, cleaning the tank up, plus medicating your fish. As a precaution, and just to have around, get medication (may come in an inexpensive set) for common illnesses, ask your LFS personnel. When beginning, you'll more than liekly run into medical problems with your fish, so knowing about the common probs and solutions will keep the stress away and your fish being happy. :D

Back
Top Bottom