New Aquarium Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeremyEsp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys!

So long story short - I have a 65 gallon freshwater aquarium. I've had the tank for about 2 years now, although it's been dormant for about 9 months ever since my mom did a 90 percent water change because she thought the tank "looked dirty" and shocked and killed all the fish. (I was devastated).

Fast forward to now. I went back to the tank, bought a new aqueon 75 gallon filter for it. Drained out all the tank water, took out the gravel and had it bare to the basic glass tank. I then mixed vinegar and water to make a weak acid in a spray bottle and sprayed down the tank and cleaned it. I then bought new gravel, rinsed it, put into the tank as well as some ornaments, air bubble walls and one air stone ornament. I then filled up the tank with tap water and put in the seachem stabilizer as well as the seachem detoxifier. The water looked clear as day for about 2 days then all of a sudden got real cloudy, which I expect is the bacterial bloom and the start of the nitrogen cycle. I have a pH test kit So I tested the levels, my nitrite level was 0.25 ppm and my nitrate level was 0, as well as ammonia 0 and pH was about 7.6. Because I didn't like the tank water looking so cloudy I got the tetra aquclear liquid and put some in the tank and that helped clear it up a bit. Now on day 5 of my tank setup the tank is much more clearer.

My issue is that yesterday I checked the filter cartridge and noticed that both cartridges were coated in a light brown residue. I changed out the cartridges with new ones and today when I check it again both are brown once more. Is this normal? Is this the good bacteria? Or do I have to do a water change? Keep in mind there are currently no fish in the tank. Secondly I'm noticing a lot of white foam bubbles on the top of my tank near the filter. My water level is pretty high, yet bubbles are forming... Should I be concerned about this as well? I've attached some images to show my cartridges, as well as the bubbles I see on top and my current tank setup.

I'm super paranoid since all my fish died last time and I just want to make sure I have the best environment for the fish before I bring them in!

Attachments

• 21EA83DD-440B-402E-9F9D-AED8D29E1E25.jpg
    21EA83DD-440B-402E-9F9D-AED8D29E1E25.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 0A616403-F01E-4038-A671-A9ADC528720B.jpg
    0A616403-F01E-4038-A671-A9ADC528720B.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 32
  • FFD6DB65-AC2C-4580-ACCE-014E71C6401A.jpg
    FFD6DB65-AC2C-4580-ACCE-014E71C6401A.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 41
You can pretty much keep the cartridges until they are falling apart. To clean it you can rinse it in tank water (in a bucket) to keep the BB alive.

You can pretty much keep the cartridges until they are falling apart. To clean it you can rinse it in tank water (in a bucket) to keep the BB alive.

Thanks for the reply! So I shouldn't be alarmed about anything?

And if you keep rinsing and changing the cartridges you will delay the tanks cycling. What are you using as an ammonia source to cycle?

And if you keep rinsing and changing the cartridges you will delay the tanks cycling. What are you using as an ammonia source to cycle?

Thanks, good to know. And I'm using seachem biostabilizer. I woke up this morning and the tank is back to being crystal clear!

Back
Top Bottom