New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a new 28 gallon marineland euro aqauarium. I need a heater and was wondering how many watts i need. I plan to buy a marineland stealth pro heater I was thinking 100 watts because it says ideal for up to 30 gallons. I was also looking at the marineland visitherm heaters. Which one is best? And one thing that i found strange is the stealthpro 100 says 30g while the visitherm 100 says 29g. So which one is better and why, and is the 100 watt best?

Just based on some things I've read, I would not recommend a Stealth Pro. Here are a couple of examples:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/103155-beware-marineland-stealth-pro-heater.html
Exploding Marineland Stealth Pro heaters

I personally don't care for the Visi Therm glass heaters either. I had one cook a trio of sparkling gouramis and I haven't trusted them since. I had bought it new a couple years prior so it wasn't all that old.

One brand I have never had any issues with is Ebo Jager. I've used them for years. I also worked in a shop that used a Jager in all 50 of the FW tanks. No issues there either. Once you get the temp where you want it with a Jager, IME they are rock solid.

100watts should be enough for a 30 gal, unless your house gets really cold or something. It's better not to go overboard with heater wattage so that it doesn't fry your fish if the temp control fails. You could also do two 50 watt heaters, one on either side. It will heat the tank more evenly, and if one fails, it's not so bad because you still have the other.

--Adeeb

I've heard alot of bad things about the stealth pro's as well... I do have one however, and it has yet to have a problem (*knock on wood*), but I honestly cant say that I'd recommend them anymore. All heaters have the potential to fail, I'd just much rather the fish get a little chilly than to end up boiled. Look at the new Fluval heaters, as well as the Ebo Jagers that SM mentioned. I would look at getting a 150w. That should give you plenty of heat without it having to run all the time

Back
Top Bottom