New at saltwater can these fish live together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrsbmckee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I'm new at this and needing some advise. My husband and I are wanting a mixture if fish and coral in our aquarium. It's 80gallons with 100 lbs of each live sand and rock. We want to get fish that can live together and won't be to much of an issue with our corals. Here is what we were thinking;

Yellow tang
Blue tang
Clam
Volition lion fish
Dwarf angel
Clownfish
Goby
Chocolate chip starfish
Anemone
Soft coral variations

Does anyone know if this list of fish can live together? And will any of these eat our coral? Thanks for all the input! We are very excited about this new found hobby but very clueless!!

The tanks a bit small for tangs,most people recommend at least 120g tank,The lion fish is a messy eater and may eat any fish it can get in its mouth, mine died with a chromis the same size as it stuck in its mouth.Personally nems need to be in perfect water conditions,and as your beginners I wouldn't go with a nem until at least a year,Not to sure about the angel with corals?
Clowns are very good beginner fish, just stick to a max of 2 of the same.
What equipment do you have
Sump?
have you done a fishless cycle?
use liquid test kits
refractometer?
Powerheads?
filtration?

Good Luck

We are doing the cycle now and we have a fluval 405 filter with 2 power heads and a 220 gallon skimmer. No sump though. Thanks for the input !

Agreed. If you want corals you do not want a CC star. Also moving this to the General reef aquaria forum.

Unfortunately, your going to have to revise your fish list. The lion will eventually eat the goby, clown fish, and maybe even the dwarf angel depending on it's size. I would also recommend you scratch off the tangs and the chocolate star from your list.

As a general rule, Tangs need a 6ft long tank to be kept in good health. There are exceptions, like the Kole Tang, that you may be able to run with instead of the yellow or blue. The CC star as the others have said may eat your corals.

Anyone have an idea if I got a radiata lionfish if it would still eat the smaller guys? Thanks again for everyones input!

Lionfish are predatory by nature. Even the small ones will eat whatever they can. From your description, it sounds like your leaning towards a reef tank so I would recommend staying away from fish that get large and predatory.

Back
Top Bottom