New BGKF help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FoxRaid

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i just got a black ghost knife fish and didnt expect my filter to be so strong in being able to get him latched onto it. Ive heard to try pantiehose or something like that around the filter but i dont have any of those lol.... Any ideas? He seems to be a picky eater as well. I tried some shrimp pellets and freeze dried blood worms and nothing. Should i wait awhile till feeding again or do they like vegetables such as zucchini or cucumber?

Healthy BGK are not going to get caught on filters. By the sounds of it it's just a little shaken up by the whole being moved process.

Feeding is best done at night with frozen bloodworms, with a bit of training they'll happily hand feed :)

Other facts about BGKs is that they get huge, are sensitive to nitrAte levels and are known for praying on small fish like tetras and cories.

Beautiful fish though :)

Lol ive got him in his own tank right now. Does he need tank mates? I was planning just keeping him alone from my other fish in the opposite tank. And he is a little baby so i guess he could be shaken up from his new home. I am worried abt the filter eating him though so i unplug it till he gets unstuck.

Lol ive got him in his own tank right now. Does he need tank mates? I was planning just keeping him alone from my other fish in the opposite tank. And he is a little baby so i guess he could be shaken up from his new home. I am worried abt the filter eating him though so i unplug it till he gets unstuck.
He will be fine alone. Just put a cave in there so he has a place to hide other then a corner or behind the filter intake. Make sure to turn off the lights when feeding so he doesn't get too scared to eat:) what type of intake is this? Canister or powerhead?

I do have a cave in there and a couple of plants oh nd also a jar. His water is aerated but on real low for now with the pump. Its a powerhead fil btw. Is it normal for them to lay at the bottom of the tank in the sand? He doesnt move unless he hears something. Makes me think hes dead sometimes.

I do have a cave in there and a couple of plants oh nd also a jar. His water is aerated but on real low for now with the pump. Its a powerhead fil btw. Is it normal for them to lay at the bottom of the tank in the sand? He doesnt move unless he hears something. Makes me think hes dead sometimes.
Called sulking. My oscar does that and other fish too. He should get back up soon:) did you just change the water? That might be why. Or even because you moved something.

I did just have this tank cycled two weeks ago. I havnt gone through a water change yet. I figured i wouldnt have to as much because it is just him and i tend to syphon out any left over food once my fish are done eating. Ill see if he is still okay tomorrow. He may perk up by then.

How many gallons is your tank? Just curious. And I use a fabric type mesh I found for my filter, works out. Otherwise pantyhose are inexpensive too.

I have him in a 30g tank for now. I was planning to upgrade as he grew. I was told that their growth rate can be very slow. And i will probably try some mesh if i cant come up with pantiehose lmao.

I have him in a 30g tank for now. I was planning to upgrade as he grew. I was told that their growth rate can be very slow. And i will probably try some mesh if i cant come up with pantiehose lmao.
That's not gonna work especially with an HOB. They're. Bio load is huge, and if this is actually a bgkf and not a brown, then he's gonna get huge quickly. Maximum a year or two. And in that tank size, he might feel cramped even as a small fish. I recommend switching to a 40. The minimum is 50 gallons. and 3,5 feet long tank.

Oh ok, and yeah..they will grow even slower in that size tank. What size were you thinking about upgrading to?

Well it is long in length for a tank so he has alot of room to swim. I was told they take as long as 5 years to be full grown. Im going to wait awhile till i switch him in a different tank because i can not fund for a new one right now.

If he's lying on his side on the ground I'd check your parameters...honestly that 9/10 preludes death...

Hes no longer on his side. Hes swimming around some now so im not as worried anymore. And i was planning on upgrading to a 100g tank which ill prob look into on craigslist. I have a 60 gal tank with community fish in it but.... I would never mix this guy with them lol id have no fish in the morning. This is mostly why i am keeping him in a 30g tank.

Since i had no fish in it and i wanted to start an agressive based tank. I was planning on getting barbs or something else instead but this guy looked neat to try.

Since i had no fish in it and i wanted to start an agressive based tank. I was planning on getting barbs or something else instead but this guy looked neat to try.

How big is he right now? I have one in my 40 Breeder that's in there temporary and he's about 4"

There's also a chance that if he's lying on his side he is sleeping, thats what mine does.Put a sponge or something over the intake of your filter. I lost a BGK once because he got stuck on the filter, but that was because I bought an extremely small one.

Back
Top Bottom