New Brushy Nose Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just swapped 2 of my standard plecos for a bushy nose and some live plants. My old plecos were getting too big for the tank. My new bushy nose seems to be resting in the same spot and breathing really fast. It's also really really fat so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I can get pics if you'd like.

I acclimated him just as I normally do, float the bag in for 15 minutes, add a little of my tank water to the bag and let it float some more, then I placed the fish into the tank. It seemed to be breathing fast while he was still in the bag before I added any of my tank water to it.

I'm not sure of my params. I know my ph is around 6.8. My API master kit got here today but one of the chemicals spilled while being shipped and I have to call the doctors up.

Does he seem bloated or just fat? I have a catfish that is FAT and has been for a year. He may just be stressed due to the new tank. You could try turning off the lights for a while to see if he relaxes.

I'm not exactly sure what I'd call it. The LFS just got him in yesterday, and he looked as fat(or maybe bloated) at the LFS as he does now. I'll get a pic real quick.

img_795403_0_d213405be043fafde53834c7e6204877.jpg

img_795403_1_3878176ba2cea16935e47e5edf694ade.jpg

img_795403_2_ec0415baeaceff087ee0d0e77a7ef608.jpg

He looks relatively normal. The only thing I see and it might just be the picture, is a bit of whitish on his underside. I would just keep an eye on him. He's probably stressed from being moved to the lfs and then to your tank.
A good rule to try and follow is to try to never get fish from an lfs immediately after they get them, always a good idea to wait a few days. That way if they are ill you will have a chance of knowing before they get to your tank. Better option, get a small tank for QT before introducing fish to your main tank. Qt'ing fish for 2 weeks will ensure your other fish's safety.

Update

A new problem has arisen. He is still very sluggish and seem to breath heavier than the other fish in my tank. My Levels are all good. Now I noticed that his right side is torn up a little bit and now there is a white substance around the cuts on his side. I'll get pics asap. I have not seen any of my fish even go near him, they basically ignore him. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom