New bumblebee goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where do you live? If you have a brackish tank snag them and if not start a brackish tank.

jetajockey said:
I don't think dragon goby + bbg is a good idea, major size difference there.

Although there is a huge size difference and the dragon gobys mouth is huge they would not eat BBGs because their throats are very small. Dragon gobys eat the same size food as BBGs

jetajockey said:
I was mostly thinking about the potential size of those fish, I've seen some absolutely huge ones. I don't really know how their temperment or feeding behavior is.

Im almost positive they sift the sand for their food.

Edit: just did a quick research and the do sift gravel and sand for their food.

Sisserydoo said:
The decor in your tank looks very interesting, with the columns and stuff. Do you have a whole tank shot?

Just adding that my filter is rated for 125 gph which is a little more then 5x an hour. I also have a battery powered gravel vac that i use a few times a week to clean up after the puffer. I just dont want anyone criticizing lack of filtration. That being said here is a full tank shot.

Attachments

• image-3546716002.jpg
    image-3546716002.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 87
So that's a platform for sand up there on the left? That's really cool. Did you build it yourself? The whole thing is really neat looking, I love the simplicity.

I'm thinking of starting a 40G brackish with dragon gobies as well as bbg

Dragon gobies are high-end brackish fish, but better off in a SW setup under any hobbyist care. I'm also concerned about the gobies eating the BBG because both species are bottom dwellers.

Sisserydoo said:
So that's a platform for sand up there on the left? That's really cool. Did you build it yourself? The whole thing is really neat looking, I love the simplicity.

I made the platform using 4 pieces of pvc that i painted with krylon fusion textured black. The i cut 2 pieces of plexiglass that i glued on top. I also added a piece of plastic i found to make a small lip so that the sand doesnt fall off. It does fall off because the skipper kicks its off but when i clean i grab handfuls a put it back up. I only have to do it once a month.

Derekkaine said:
That's a cool looking tank but that mudskipper looks mean.

He is only mean to crickets. He is always watching me. He is my favorite fish ive ever had.

Cool it's def better than my black skirt tetras that pretend they are piranhas when I put tropical flake food in.

Sisserydoo said:
That's what I love about black skirts! I have seven. They think they're so tough, but they're just eating flakes! :lol:

If only all brackish fish ate flakes. I have to feed the skipper cricket, meal worms, or fruit flys. The flounder i havent seen him eat yet but im trying to feed him live BBS. The goby i have only feed him BBS which he is loving but im going to try frozen blood worms or frozen brine shrimp.

Derekkaine said:
I have 6 atm , 2 males , 4 females.

You have 6 BBGs!? How do you sex them?
Today when i fed my puffer frozen krill i noticed my BBG was attacking the krill. Now i know something else that he likes. Any other suggestions.

Dragon gobies are high-end brackish fish, but better off in a SW setup under any hobbyist care. I'm also concerned about the gobies eating the BBG because both species are bottom dwellers.

dragon gobies do well in brackish even in freshwater but i wouldn't put them in FW
also i believe they eat algae & veggies

OBEYtheFISH said:
but the dragon wont do anything

Agreed but i just dont have the a big enough tank. 25 gallons is not nearly big enough for a fish that gets two feet long.

When i was young i came across a picture and description of a mudskipper in an old book my grandfather gave me. Since then i had an obsession with them and thought they were the only type of goby. As i discovered more and more types ive been fascinated by most gobys and and they are my favorite type of fish.

How big will the mud skippers get?

Now I will have to go on and on a bit about my favorite zoo...Oklahoma City Zoo. They have a mud skipper tank, and it was one of my very favorite tanks at the aquarium building. But there's were a bit big I thought for a home aquarium, seems like they were 6 or 8 inches long, but I may be remembering wrong because it's been a while since I've been there. Are the ones kept in the home aquarium the same variety?

Back
Top Bottom