New cars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tell ya what would make me by a smaller car.

If they would start making semi's SMALLER.
Thats the main reason I buy larger family cars.

Myself..I drive an S-10, small yes but I dont really worry about me it's the wife and kids I wont put in a small shoe box.

I would love to drive a small car like I used to when I was single, zippy and great on gas, easy to park, etc. Nowadays when I see a tiny car I just feel like nobody can see them and it is more dangerous now than it used to be.

For me, I have to be able to take the family on a day trip and have room to pack our stuff, go to the grocery store and to the hardware store without having to rent a truck. I also can seat 7 in my minivan and that means we can bring other family or friends with us to go somewhere and cut down on cars on the road.

I was horrified when I realized I would have to drive a minivan, but now I don't think I could do without it. If we could just find a way to do without fossil fuels it would change everything.

They are working on driving without fossil fuels, but as long as there is oil left, not many people will dare to take on the oil industry by releasing a completely new concept. We have some public transport here in Belgium that drives on Bio-diesel (actually gas from rotten plant matter) and even on Hydrogen.
But it's not yet economically viable to start mass producing this sor of things, so they're holding it off.

TankGirl said:
I was horrified when I realized I would have to drive a minivan, but now I don't think I could do without it. If we could just find a way to do without fossil fuels it would change everything.

The power consumption is the problem. How do you replicate that? We have (in NYC) "clean-air buses" ( Compressed natural gas) but I've heard that the cost is prohibitive (either that or BIG oil won't let go).

I've had sedans but for a family of four (all sorta large bodied) and picking stuff up and lugging this one and that one, etc. The sports utility is the answer.

Well put one of thoses big SUV's up aginst a Licolin Town car and one of those minni coopers and see which driver walks away.
Agree completely.
Right, but then again, if everyone would drive smaller cars, we wouldn't have these discussions.
Ah, but you have to consider trucks, bad driving conditions, etc. I would hate to wrap around a telephone pole in one of those. I've been to Europe and driven those small cars, they scare the heck out of me. definitely, fun to drive though. :wink:

you can't really sit on the hood .... i would be afraid my chunkyness would be like a can crusher to that car

The Smarts are made by Mercedes, and are actually very high quality cars....the big bonus is that you can drive one around all month for about $20 worth of petrol, and you can park them in about ½ a regular space.

I have not seen the chap on the Segway, but have heard about him. Lots of Vespas and motor-assisted bicycles in my neighbourhood, though.

Well, if they would sell that little car in the US, I'd probably buy one. I agree that larger vehicles are probably a bit safer. I actually prefer the way a big car rides...I just can't justify the extra purchase and fuel costs. The hybrids, IMO, are a bit of a disappointment. They are very expensive to purchase and thier economy isn't that good. My old beat up Metro consistently gets 45mpg and none of the hybrids, according to the consumer reviews I've read, even get close to that. I guess we all have different ideas about what we want for transportation. To me, a car is a way to get where I want to go. The cheaper, the better. I'd love to see a subcompact with a small turbo diesel. If it would go 70mph, that'd be enough for me. I know, if my Metro can get 45mph with a normally aspirated 1.0 liter gas burner, a modern efficient turbodiesel could do twice that. We're eventually going to have to come to terms with energy usage here in the US. It'll be better for everyone if we can do it before it becomes a crisis situation. JMHO.

That little car also beats the tar out of even California's emmision requirements, and according to the site (and a number of consumer reports), gets about 64mpg.

I have seen something as small but not the same, actually I like it but in the suv truck united states of america I would be afraid to drive on main roads , but anywho thanks for sharing........................ :)

I'd hate to be the poor sap in that miserable excuse for a car if he ever got into an accident with me in my F250 Diesel 4x4. A car that small is simply unsafe and should not be allowed on the road. Fuel economy is not worth a person's life.

Fireworks said:
I'd hate to be the poor sap in that miserable excuse for a car if he ever got into an accident with me in my F250 Diesel 4x4. A car that small is simply unsafe and should not be allowed on the road. Fuel economy is not worth a person's life.

Actually, they have a surprisingly excellent safety rating. Wait...in less than 20 years, you will likely be driving one, or something similar to it, as by then, large vehicles for private use will likely be banned, or gasoline will be so expensive (probably at least $16-$20/gallon) that you simply could not afford to drive something that big.

You have to think though, when me and three of my friends want to go shopping we take the SUV. If all 4 of us tried to cram into that Smart, we wouldn't have room to actually buy anything. I guess we could always put Amanda and Jodi on the roof tied down like a christmas tree. :bulb:

I for one would have a much more peaceful trip to the mall if my kids were tied to the roof..... just kidding!! 8)

You would end up like one of those Dodge Prowlers pulling a little trailer....just to hold a bag of groceries.

There is a reason for that. :roll: that sucker is all engine 8O . I guess they didn't think about making trips to the grocery store in that thing. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom