New Cichlid Tank - Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'll be starting a Cichlid tank in a little while. I've got a 30-gallon tank (36"x18"x12") that I plan to use. I'd like to get Cichlids which are very brightly colored and non-aggressive (hopefully that combination isn't impossible).

- I'd like to have a pleco, too. Is this possible, and what type(s) is recommend?

- How many Cichlids are practical for that tank (in addition to the pleco)? I don't want to have to change the water all the time.

- What kind of substrate/decor is needed?

- What do Cichlids and plecos eat (if it's anything more special than flake food)?

If you've got a ~30-gallon Cichlid tank, I'd really appreciate it to see some pictures, if you're willing to upload them!

Thanks!!

With a 30g tank you are limited as to what types of cichlids you can keep. I would recommend dwarfs like german blue rams, gold rams, etc. I'd also say that the common pleco is out of the question. You might be able to get away with a bristlenose pleco.

You could probably get away with a trio of blue rams provided you have plenty of hiding spots.

Sand would be preferred but gravel would work too. Cichlids like lots of rocks and places to hide in so that would be your decor.

Plecos enjoy just about any food (sinking pellets, wafers, etc). They also enjoy the occasional vegetable. One thing they seem to like is driftwood. Some say it is essential for the digestion process but I have heard that in common plecos that is not the case.

Dwarfs typically stay around 3" or so. The german blue rams can be rather sensitive at first so you will need an established tank for them. It seems the golds are a little more forgiving but they are not as colorful.

Tropical Freshwater Aquarium Fish: Ram

meegosh said:
Dwarfs typically stay around 3" or so. The german blue rams can be rather sensitive at first so you will need an established tank for them. It seems the golds are a little more forgiving but they are not as colorful.

Tropical Freshwater Aquarium Fish: Ram

So you think 3x 3" dwarf Cichlids and a 6" pleco are the upper bound on the capacity of a 30-gallon tank?

I understand that the inch-per-gallon "rule" is a loose rule of thumb, but that's only half! I was hoping for a few of the bigger Cichlids in that tank :-(

The ones I had my eye on were like the electric yellow/blue ones that grow to 4-5".

Electric yellows and Electric blues would out grow the tank.

You could research shell dwellers from Lake Tanganyika.

Other than that, Dwarf South Americans are a real possibility. Rams or Apistos are great little characters.

Back
Top Bottom