new clown tang added to tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What type of algae do you want him to eat, pest or sheet algae? Did you just introduce him as he is probably adjusting to the tank.

Just so we know they are for at least a three hundred gallon tank and for experts only. Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but they have those requirements for a reason.

Just so we know they are for at least a three hundred gallon tank and for experts only. Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but they have those requirements for a reason.

The OPs profile says a 500 gallon tank so I assumed it was in that tank.

Ok good. That part is covered. That fish imo is one of those fish I think that are best left in the ocean. Not trying to be mean. Good luck with the fish.

My clown tang eats Mysis shrimp, nori and about anything else I throw in with him. They are considered difficult because they are very aggressive and armed for a fight. He is a super active fish that will be a nightmare in a small tank IMO. Beautiful, but goes into the same category as an Achilles tang. I do not plan on adding mine to my reef. He is in a big frag tank right now. Many say a 400 gallon isn't big enough for a clown. They live in highly oxygenated tidal areas.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1741251

Last edited:
The OP's question had nothing to do with tank size. So why is it brought up. Answer the question or don't and move on.

Onto the question. I agree with what someone said above. Possibly adjusting if a new addition. It took my Hippo a few weeks to even go after nori. even now it will only eat green. wont touch reds or purples. Try some different colors. Also you can try some different ways to place the nori. Clips work great and are easy but some will wrap a rock with itand let the tang dod what come naturally. Graze Good luck

The OP's question had nothing to do with tank size. So why is it brought up. Answer the question or don't and move on. Onto the question. I agree with what someone said above. Possibly adjusting if a new addition. It took my Hippo a few weeks to even go after nori. even now it will only eat green. wont touch reds or purples. Try some different colors. Also you can try some different ways to place the nori. Clips work great and are easy but some will wrap a rock with itand let the tang dod what come naturally. Graze Good luck
Who made you moderator? The OP asked about Clown Tangs. When stressed, they don't eat. Your sensitivity about tangs and tank size indicates to me you don't agree, so what? We all have our opinions. Your 90 gallon is even small for a full grown hippo, IMO. Read about a thousand posts from those with fish in too small a tank. Same story over and over again. Do you have a clown tang? I do and he is eating and growing fine. But this is an advice forum, not a cheering squad for whatever you decide to do. Didn't mean to get angry, but don't tell me what advice to post or not post.I also wish the OP the best.

Last edited:
Who made you moderator? The OP asked about Clown Tangs. When stressed, they don't eat. Your sensitivity about tank size indicates to me you don't agree, so what? We all have our opinions. Your 44 gallon has no business with a hippo in it either, IMO. Read about a thousand posts from those with fish in too small a tank. Same story over and over again. Do you have a clown tang? I do and he is eating and growing fine. But this is an advice forum, not a cheering squad for whatever you decide to do. Didn't mean to get angry, but don't tell me what advice to post or not post.I also wish the OP the best.

I moderated nothing. All I did was make a comment, not about you but about the actual moderator that decided to not answer the question, but instead assume that the OP had a tank too small for the clown. As for you, hmmm who cares what you think about my 44. While I don't have it anymore, if I did I would not hesitate to put another tang in it because well its mine and I can do what I want.

I stand corrected the Mod actually made two worthless comments in this thread, not just one. This is the same mod that actually told me to not make comments that have no bearing on the topic.

That is absolutely accurate. You can do as you wish, and you can blow off any advice that doesn't suit you. It's your right. It's my right to state you are wrong. My fish live for decades. Let the OP take the advice he thinks is accurate. Sorry flyfishingkid, we are all passionate about the hobby and tiffs sometimes occur, we all mean the best.

Jgraz, I updated my post, thought you still ran the 44 gallon. No hard feelings.

Last edited:
That is absolutely accurate. You can do as you wish, and you can blow off any advice that doesn't suit you. It's your right. It's my right to state you are wrong. My fish live for decades. Let the OP take the advice he thinks is accurate. Sorry flyfishingkid, we are all passionate about the hobby and tiffs sometimes occur, we all mean the best.

Jgraz, I updated my post, thought you still ran the 44 gallon. No hard feelings.

None taken. As I said, my comments were not towards you. I still have the hippo and others and they are in a 90 ATM with every intention to upgrade just as I did with the 44. Anyway that's neither here nor there. We are all passionate and we all have our opinions that others will disagree with. It is what it is.

Again FFK good luck with the Clown. May he learn to eat many a nori sheet.

The op has a large enough tank according to his profile. However to small of a tank would definitely lead to stress especially in a fish that has a very poor track record in captivity. The fact is this is not a beginner fish and I think asking about tank size is absolutely crucial for long term success with this fish. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but we should all be in this hobby to have fish succeed and thrive.

The op has a large enough tank according to his profile. However to small of a tank would definitely lead to stress especially in a fish that has a very poor track record in captivity. The fact is this is not a beginner fish and I think asking about tank size is absolutely crucial for long term success with this fish. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but we should all be in this hobby to have fish succeed and thrive.
+1 I agree Google "my tang died" it will freak you out.

Your right, tank size for him should be okay, but this tang lives in surge zones. That makes a major difference.

+1 I agree Google "my tang died" it will freak you out.

Your right, tank size for him should be okay, but this tang lives in surge zones. That makes a major difference.

Very true just like Achilles tangs. Good point.

I think it may settle out for the clown, just don't over stock because he needs a high oxygenation level. Keep surface agitation up. These type tangs live in an environment that looks like the inside of a washing machine. While yellow tangs, for instance, cruise the reef in calmer, deeper rescue.water. I never got any good underwater photos of clowns in the wild because of where they hang out! They even swim a bit different than other tangs, they explode from one area of the tank to the other. Full speed always. It makes sense, when living in a turbulent surge zone you would swim from one protective outcrop to the next one. Dallying around would get you smashed into a rock.

BTW, my clown was kind of a rescue.

Last edited:
People will listen or take advice based on there circumstance one person says the tank is too small the other ok. My tank is not big enough so I go with the latter haha

Everyone is so darn sensitive it seems. lol I keep tangs in a 6 foot tank and they are fine, I also wouldnt try a "difficult" one due to the risk to the fish. There are truly some fish and other critters best left in the ocean in my opinion. Tank size plays a major role with tangs and thats not just guessing or rehashing others advice, it comes direct from me and my experiences with them as it does from several of the previous posters, including the mod who always gives honest experienced advice. :)
As far as the algae, once the fish settles down and gets comfortable he will most likely start munching it. My tangs also only eat the green seaweed, they hate the purple and red ones for whatever reason. lol

Good luck OP with your tang, I hope he does well. Just do everything you can for him possible and he may be a great success story for you. Just because a fish is "difficult" doesnt mean its impossible. Heck, I have had a mandarin for a couple years now and they have a super high mortality rate in home aquaria. :)

Everyone is so darn sensitive it seems. lol I keep tangs in a 6 foot tank and they are fine, I also wouldnt try a "difficult" one due to the risk to the fish. There are truly some fish and other critters best left in the ocean in my opinion. Tank size plays a major role with tangs and thats not just guessing or rehashing others advice, it comes direct from me and my experiences with them as it does from several of the previous posters, including the mod who always gives honest experienced advice. :) As far as the algae, once the fish settles down and gets comfortable he will most likely start munching it. My tangs also only eat the green seaweed, they hate the purple and red ones for whatever reason. lol Good luck OP with your tang, I hope he does well. Just do everything you can for him possible and he may be a great success story for you. Just because a fish is "difficult" doesnt mean its impossible. Heck, I have had a mandarin for a couple years now and they have a super high mortality rate in home aquaria. :)
I couldn't agree more, my problem is that I get too passionate about not killing off wonderful fish. Otherwise, why respond to questions? You are also right, there are exceptions to most rules, but not all of them. Your Mandarin experience as well as my own sons experience with them has been 100% different than mine. But as you noted, that isn't the norm. Nor are some types of tangs in too small a space prospering a common occurrence. They don't eat is their first symptom, even before ick takes them down. I think most of us can agree with that. The OP has a 400 gallon that should give the little guy a real chance of surviving and growing old. He will be a menace though, maybe not when he's little, but they get pretty rowdy when they get bigger. That's the "difficult or expert" part of their description IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom