New coral not sure of name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I let my wife pick out my latest coral over this past weekend. The LFS called it a "yellow cup coral" that seems to be a subjective description. Does anybody know a more specific or scientific name for this so I can do the research that I should have already done before I bought it? I am guessing a Turbinaria but I dont know which one, or maybe a Pagoda? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1255.jpg
    IMG_1255.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 66
That's my guess too. And while I hope the info on my link doesn't apply to you, you should read it so you should be aware in case things start going bad...

DyedCorals

That just seems sooooooo yellow, including the base.

I only had a chance to skim over that link (I'm printing it out now so I can read it while I watch the Angels game) But you definitely have me concerned. Especially since that particular LFS also had those bright pink finger leathers like it shows on the link. I'm going to be pissed if that is the case.
I am also concerned because I haven't seen any polyp extension and I have had it since Sunday. What would you do if you found out it happened to you?

I just called that LFS I found that cup coral and asked, "Do you sell artificially colored live coral?" He was hesitant and said yes. I said do you tell people that before they purchase it and he said, only if they ask. I said, "and you think that is ethical?" He didn't respond so I said I wanted to return the coral and he said they don't take returns. He even admitted the color fades. I am livid now. I am tempted to call American Express to dispute the charge, but I doubt that would fly. I feel taken advantage of as a new aquarist, I may just have to chalk this one up to experience.
For anybody in Southern California. Do NOT go to "Tongs" in Fountain Valley.
For everybody else: make sure to do your homework first before any purchase.

That really sucks. I've heard and read about dyed coral, but never saw any around here.

That really sucks, ryshark. I guess the only bright spot of this is that they fessed up to it... kinda.

I'd call back tomorrow and ask to speak with the owner or manager. I'm guessing you weren't talking to either, with the way you said that conversation went. I'm thinking that with your line of questioning ("you think that's ethical?") an owner would've sensed possible impending doom and gladly given you a full refund. My guess is that if that's their company attitude and policy, they probably won't be around long unless they're the only game in town.

Regarding contacting American Express for a chargeback, that could be difficult because you indeed got what you bought. While you could liken it to "defective" merchandise, I'm pretty sure whoever you talked with at American Express wouldn't see it that way. They'd probably file the chargeback for you, but it'd probably be reversed in a month or two. Your only other avenue is that if the store didn't have their return policy PLAINLY VISIBLE, you could claim a chargeback because they would not give you at least store credit. When a store has to fight a chargeback, they have to show three main things: (1) the customer received what they bought, and (2) the customer has every opportunity to see/read the return policy, and (3) the card wasn't reported stolen or cancelled. If the store can show those three things, then the chargeback will most likely be reversed in the store's favor.

But getting the word out works too, as long as it isn't libelous or slanderous. "So-and-so sells dyed corals" seems like a truthful statement.

I just looked at the top of the receipt it says:
TONG'S TROPICAL FISH
24Hour Gaurantee on Fish
WATER SAMPLE REQUIRED
No Guarantee on Inverts
Exchanges Only on
Dry Goods. NO REFUND.

Pretty tricky!!! Makes sense now knowing about what they do to their inverts. I actually wonder if it is already dead since I haven't seen a polyp come out yet??? Its hard to tell if it is all dyed skeleton or skin too. When I asked the guy at this fish store, before I made the purchase, about the polyps he said that "they are coming out a little but its because he isnt positioned properly in the tank, thats why they are not out." The cup was facing towards the glass not the top.

I called AA they will take the charge off for now, but what Kurt said will probably be the end result.

If nothing else, the store at least understands how to keep their chargebacks to a minimum. Putting the return policy on the receipt (that you have to sign!) makes it hard for the customer to claim they didn't know the policy and is pretty standard practice in a lot of industries.

WoW I never knew that was ever an issue? Sorry to hear about the bogus coral glad I read the post! I would be inside the store throwing a fit if it was me demanding to speak with the owner Id probably get kicked out.

I too am ignorant about this. Very sorry to hear about your problem but FWIW your info got out and educated a few folks.

I`m sorry RYshark. That is just the most horrible thing I have ever heard. I might would have to picket with a sign outside his shop. That guy will go out of business before you know it.

Wow i'm stunned. I'd never heard of this. I'm with fijiwiji, I would be in there raising ****. Not only is that unethical to deceive customers like that it also is terrible for the corals. If there are any phone poles around or something similar you should post up some pictures and a brief statement that the shop sells dyed corals and your experience so hopefully others see the signs before going in and buying anything else from those (your choice of profanity here). Lastly make a post in your Local area forums so others in that area are aware. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

The question is, what did you ask before purchasing the coral and what information did he relay? Technically, you can file a charge against him under deceipt/deception, but I forget the process (It is out there!). In addition, he can be reported to the Better Business Bureau, whether he is a member or not. For now I would snap more pictures of the coral and save for future reference if needed. It is very difficult for a coral to make it through a dyed process, especially if it was internal.

You should call the store and ask to speak to a manager or the owner. Let them know that you filed a charge-back claim with AMEX. That might be enough to get you a refund, or at least store credit.

When I purchased the coral they told me the polyps were not out just because of the way it was incorrectly positioned in the tank. They mentioned NOTHING about the dye and called it a "yellow" cup coral. I did call the store earlier today and asked to speak with the owner or person in charge. I did speak with the owner and I gave that person a complete earfull. In the final part of the conversation I did get store credit as long as I bring the coral back in. I'm too busy tonight so I will take it back and then have to decide what to trade it in for tomorrow. Lesson learned.

I would check with your city laws as a fraudulent sale usually requires full reimbursement and not just a credit. It would be worth your time invested.

That's very interesting! I didn't know they dyed inverts. I have heard and seen dyed fish. What a shame people/stores do that. It seems to me, that would interfere with the coral's ability to photosynthesize and produce food....

It seems to me, that would interfere with the coral's ability to photosynthesize and produce food....

Yup... you assume correctly.

I've never figured out why shops sell them, other than a quick buck. I mean... you have two possible outcomes: (1) coral dies because new owner doesn't realize it's died and doesn't photoacclimate or feed it appropriately, or (2) coral lives and returns back to it's normal non-dyed color. Either way... the customer isn't going to be happy. But I guess they got their money in the short term.

After reading all of your posts I didn't want to settle for store credit. I went back to tha LFS today with the dyed cup coral. I told him the sale was disceptive, misleading, unethical and I do not want credit I want a complete refund. He agreed to the complete refund and credited my card. He told me that they sell a lot of those dyed corals, and I said yeah I bet to a bunch of people like me who didn't know better. His reply was that businesses do know and they buy it every month and then just replace it every month. Thats seems to me like a waste of $50 when some of the true artificial corals are very colorful and look real. But the bottom line is I went from them saying no refund at all to store credit to full refund. So it worked out ok, except for the poor coral I dont think it is going to make it.

Anyway, I took my refund and stopped off at a reef store on the way back to my house and picked up aToadstool Leather and 1-polyp of a Micro Balanophyllia for the same price as my dyed cup coral refund. Hopefully I don't regret getting the balanophyllia because of the night time target feeding. If so I should be able to trade it to some LFS.

Back
Top Bottom