New Corals having a hard time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmonicarl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got my first corals yesterday from Ants Aquatics in Ft. Lauderdale but a couple of them aren't doing so well, or so it seems. Here are the pics.

ForumRunner_20130919_234324.jpg

ForumRunner_20130919_234343.jpg

ForumRunner_20130919_234427.jpg

ForumRunner_20130919_234445.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130919_234252.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130919_234252.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 80
I forgot to add some information about my 15 gal tank:
I've had the tank with fish (3 clowns and 1 red/white shrimp and some hermits) and live rock and sand since March and have not had any bad parameters. I have an HOB filter and a protein skimmer amd a heater and maintain the temp. At 78 degrees. I do 40% water change every week or week and 1/2. As I said I just added the soft corals.

Yes, light is a T5 blue an white with a set of 4 led between the blue and white T5s and a smaller separate blue led light.

How did you acclimate the corals?
Honestly, after a day it's hard to tell how poorly they are doing. If they are still having issues after a week or so then I would look at potential issues.

I know you didn't ask about the clowns but it might be a good idea to rehome one of them. Once 2 of them pair off they will harass the 3rd to death, especially in a tank that small.

Mebbid I put the corals in the bags to float in the tank for about 30 minutes before I placed them in the tank. As farr as the clowns I had puchased 4 and 2 of them were bullying one of them to the point where they stressed him out and he died. Tomorrow I'm going to get another tank (small cube or something) for the other one because they bother him all the time too. I'm new to this but it is a very relaxing hobby.
Thanks for the good advice.

Any time you add anything to the tank you need to make an effort to acclimate it slowly to your tanks salinity and pH. I usually do this over the course of 2 hours or so for just about anything by using a turkey baster to remove and discard some of the bag water and then replacing it with tank water. I probably do this a 1/4 cup at a time every 10 minutes or so. This could be why some of your corals aren't looking that good.

Back
Top Bottom