New DTHM beta!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big-j

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got a double tail half moon betta and put it in a cycled and filtered 3 gallon with some ghost shrimp, he is acclimizing now any suggestions to take care of him?

Congrats! Any pics?

Just make sure to not have a strong current, bettas dont do well with them. Also I would recommend covering the filter intake (if it is a HOB) with a sponge so that the bettas fins wont get sucked up and torn.

Feed 1-2 times a day with possibly a treat of Blood worms, brine shrimp, etc once every week, bettas sure do like it IME :)

I have to warn you though, Ive heard reports of ghost shrimp pinching and ripping the bettas fins with their small pinchers, Just watch them carefully.

No pics yet he's hiding at the moment and I dont think I can upload pics using my iPhone? Anyway thanks for the advice I'll be sure to check the filter and watch his fins carefully, anymore advice like temp?

I think you could upload pics from an Iphone, I can from my Samsung Captivate (Android phone for At&t)

Bettas do prefer warmer temps such as 76-82

I've been keeping bettas many years and have never had any of the problems Ty described.

Ghost shrimp are usually harmless enough, though the Betta might eat them.

Some bettas do enjoy a current, some don't. Unless you have a ridiculously large filter in the 3 gal, you shouldn't have to worry about fins getting sucked into the intake. They are very strong swimmers.

Bettas are pretty tough, so with frequent PWC and good ominorvious diet, it will probably live a nice long life. I feed freeze dried blood worms and live brine shrimp.

Enjoy, they are a lot of fun and have a lot of personality. I really enjoy them.

You don't have to feed them as frequently as ty says. I fed mine 2 to 3 times a week. The bugger lived 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom